Columbus, Ohio P25 Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokyoblue

Hello all,
I am a newbie to digital scanning and have a quick question concerning the P25 system. I am curious if I purchase a digital scanner,
should I be looking at one that has the next generation P25 system capabilitiy? I dont have alot of cash to work with,but I would like
to get one that will fit my budget.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Budget + Ohio MARCS simulcast + digital scanner = SDS100 or SDS200 if you want to hear the Ohio MARCS P25 digital simulcast system clearly. If you are on a budget it would be worth your while to save the additional dinero to get the SDS scanner that covers all modes. You'll be glad that you did. Just my 2 cents.

Tokyoblue

Budget + Ohio MARCS simulcast + digital scanner = SDS100 or SDS200 if you want to hear the Ohio MARCS P25 digital simulcast system clearly. If you are on a budget it would be worth your while to save the additional dinero to get the SDS scanner that covers all modes. You'll be glad that you did. Just my 2 cents.

I understand.I just didnt want to buy a p25 digital scanner at a cheap price , then it wont be able to use it down the road.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Before the SDS series came out, I monitored the Ohio MARCS with 3 different digital scanners in an attempt to decipher the simulcast 'garble' and missed transmissions, and I still missed a lot. Didn't realize just how much I was missing until I got the SDS100. Poof. Simulcast woes be gone. My SDS200 is now my serious base station scanner. All others just fall short for me when it comes to simulcast. My best advice is to thoroughly research your intended system target and the available radios that will monitor it and make your decision accordingly. If you want the best, save for it. :)

Tokyoblue

Before the SDS series came out, I monitored the Ohio MARCS with 3 different digital scanners in an attempt to decipher the simulcast 'garble' and missed transmissions, and I still missed a lot. Didn't realize just how much I was missing until I got the SDS100. Poof. Simulcast woes be gone. My SDS200 is now my serious base station scanner. All others just fall short for me when it comes to simulcast. My best advice is to thoroughly research your intended system target and the available radios that will monitor it and make your decision accordingly. If you want the best, save for it. :)

I understand.I am looking at the SDS 100 and the Whistler TRX-1

Last edited:

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
looking at the SDS 100 and the Whistler TRX-1

I have to say that out of the three digital scanners I used to monitor the Ohio MARCS radio sytsem before the birth of the SDSs, the TRX-1 was the best performer. Also, very good with DMR and NXDN included for free. But with the MARCS system is was hit and miss, but better than the others (BCD536HP and Whistler WS-1065). There are some that will say yeah the TRX-1 does not properly track a DMR/NXDN system, but I say so what, I can hear both sides of the conversation loud and clear. If that is improper, I don't really care. What is proper is that it receives what some others cannot. TRX-1 is a fine radio.

fordcobra04

Premium Subscriber
Spend the extra money and get the Unication G4 or G5. G5 is a dual band vhf or uhf/7/800 version, G4 is just 7/800. Blows regular scanners out of the water, and will do P25 Phase 2.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Or get a BK KNG and blow a Unication out of the water.
which is a hell of a lot more money than either a Unication or an SDS100/200, and he's on a budget, plus do you really want a guy new to this having a system radio as a first go? a good way to get it bricked,
anyway the SDS100/200 will work just fine, when I'm in Hilliard or New Albany, hell even Sunbury they work just fine but also get a Remtronix Antenna

Reactions: wdz

gtaman

which is a hell of a lot more money than either a Unication or an SDS100/200, and he's on a budget, plus do you really want a guy new to this having a system radio as a first go? a good way to get it bricked,
anyway the SDS100/200 will work just fine, when I'm in Hilliard or New Albany, hell even Sunbury they work just fine but also get a Remtronix Antenna

Oh for sure it will work fine. That’s just another option. To the OP. Currently people have been able to get the SDS200 for around 550 USD.

sadatoni

Premium Subscriber
I had nearly given up on scanning Ohio Marcs due to the simulcast issue with the Pro-197 in the Polaris area. The SDS200 had made it a joy again.

west-pac

Have you guys tried making your antenna smaller, using a paperclip, or disconnecting it altogether, so you receive only the closest tower?

unit1231

For UHF and the MARCS system what would be the best for vehicle mounted? best for a handheld?

Status
Not open for further replies.