Columbus PD Freeway Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiminpgh

Lurker
Premium Subscriber
Hello all,
I travel through Columbus on I-70 and I notice the police department has units dedicated to interstate patrol. I tried the traffic talkgroups, but they sounded like service patrols. What is the talk group for Columbus PD freeway patrol?

Thank you,
Jim

wdz

Feed Provider
Hi Jim,

CPD Freeway patrol just uses whatever main air they are patrolling in as far as I know. Zone 1, 2, etc.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
They monitor all five zones, and communicate on each one as needed. If a particular zone needs them (auto accidents, etc) they will air for them on all five zones. Their unit numbers are in the 600 series.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
They use the traffic talk groups for speed enforcement (pack hunting), major accidents and road closures, and to communicate and coordinate with the "TMC", traffic monitoring center and their motorist assistance trucks. They are very active during rush hour. Otherwise, as stated above, they are on the zone channels.

jiminpgh

Lurker
Premium Subscriber
TMC

I have observed the Columbus Police to the TMC behavior on my last trip through. It seemed as if the channel was not a police talk group, as the PD was requesting a highway service truck.
I thought there might be a channel dedicated to the freeway patrol, but I guess not. I guess I'll have to listen to the zone channels.

Thanks for the feedback.
Jim

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I have observed the Columbus Police to the TMC behavior on my last trip through. It seemed as if the channel was not a police talk group, as the PD was requesting a highway service truck.
I thought there might be a channel dedicated to the freeway patrol, but I guess not. I guess I'll have to listen to the zone channels.

The Traffic talkgroups were originally intended for use by the Freeway Patrol, but it was found to be better and safer for them to stay on the regular Patrol talkgroups. After that the Traffic talkgroups were relegated to traffic control use at major events. Use of Traffic 1 for interop coordination with the ODOT Traffic Monitoring Center is a fairly recent development (within the last couple of years).

Status
Not open for further replies.