Columbus Police "SP" Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone that is really familiar with the CPD units know what kind of units with the SP prefix are (SP-8, SP-11)? It sounds as if they are undercover units or plain clothes units. Can anyone confirm this? I heard one of the CPD units say to another that "SP-8 is in a white Ford Taurus". I assume it's probably undercover...

Thanks! :) :) :)

DualReverse

Premium Subscriber
I wanna say its 'Special Patrol'? I always thought they were part of the special task force that the Mayor assembled to fight crime this summer...

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
They respond to runs just like any normal cruiser would, exept they are not using CVPIs, they use Ford Taurus's. I'm thinking they are maybe plain clothes units or something. Thanks for the responses guys! :)

Q101ATFD

The SP units are part of the 2006 Columbus summer crime task force. They are NOT dispatched units, but float around the hotspots as extra support. The initial purpose was to round up as many wanted persons as possible, and now the focus has shifted towards street-level criminal activity. They are not plain-clothes - each zone is still running their own P/C units.

Most of the SP units are in the Franklinton/Hilltop areas, the near East side and the OSU (off) campus/Wyland Park/Short North areas.

I forget the exact number but there are around 30 cars available, but generally 12 to 15 SP cars run on B and C company. Most of the SP cars are "R" cruisers remarked as SP-xx. These are overtime slots, which is why the number of cruisers varies - no officers are 'assigned' to SP.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Q101ATFD said:
The SP units are part of the 2006 Columbus summer crime task force. They are NOT dispatched units, but float around the hotspots as extra support. The initial purpose was to round up as many wanted persons as possible, and now the focus has shifted towards street-level criminal activity. They are not plain-clothes - each zone is still running their own P/C units.

Most of the SP units are in the Franklinton/Hilltop areas, the near East side and the OSU (off) campus/Wyland Park/Short North areas.

I forget the exact number but there are around 30 cars available, but generally 12 to 15 SP cars run on B and C company. Most of the SP cars are "R" cruisers remarked as SP-xx. These are overtime slots, which is why the number of cruisers varies - no officers are 'assigned' to SP.
Thank you for the info. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.