Columbus Police Updating Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

oesjmr

Premium Subscriber
Over the past few days I've heard several Columbus police units marking in that they're heading somewhere (I don't remember where exactly) to get their radios updated/upgraded. I haven't noticed any significant changes in the control frequencies or PD talkgroups in the RadioReference database for Franklin County's system. I know MARCS added a Franklin County Freeway Patrol talkgroup and several pursuit talkgroups recently, but would CPD be getting these on their radios? Or maybe it has to do with rebanding?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Over the past few days I've heard several Columbus police units marking in that they're heading somewhere (I don't remember where exactly) to get their radios updated/upgraded. I haven't noticed any significant changes in the control frequencies or PD talkgroups in the RadioReference database for Franklin County's system. I know MARCS added a Franklin County Freeway Patrol talkgroup and several pursuit talkgroups recently, but would CPD be getting these on their radios? Or maybe it has to do with rebanding?

Rebanding.

bge1234

I've not noticed any differences in my ability to receive these channels. Wouldn't rebanding require that I upgrade the firmware on my Uniden BC246T in order to keep listening?

16b

Premium Subscriber
I've not noticed any differences in my ability to receive these channels. Wouldn't rebanding require that I upgrade the firmware on my Uniden BC246T in order to keep listening?
Yes it will. However, if the users are still in the process of having their radios reprogrammed, that means that the changes to the system for rebanding haven't occurred yet. The radios are programmed so that they will work pre-rebanding and post-rebanding so that the transition is seamless. Otherwise, the radios that haven't been reprogrammed yet wouldn't work.

SlyFerret

I'm going to have to find out when the rebanding is supposed to occur. When it happens, it will be time to retire my trusty old PRO-93 that I use at the office.

-SF

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I'm going to have to find out when the rebanding is supposed to occur. When it happens, it will be time to retire my trusty old PRO-93 that I use at the office.

Probably late this year or early next year. Mobiles haven't even started getting touched yet.

WHS1972

Premium Subscriber
Could someone explain in simple terms what this means? Will my Bearcat analog trunktrackers still work?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
It depends on what the new frequencies will be and which scanners you are referring to.

Which Scanners Stop Working?

This is a partial list of Uniden scanners that are expected to stop working on rebanded Motorola analog (3600 bps control channel) systems where one or more of the frequencies has a zero in the 4th decimal position:

BC235XLT
BC245XLT
BC250D
BC780XLT
BC785D
BC895XLT

All DMA scanners will work. The BCT8 BC898T BC296D and BC796D may require a Firmware Update.

Rebanding - The RadioReference Wiki

Last edited:

oesjmr

Premium Subscriber
I've heard multiple units marking over the past two days about going in to get their radios rebanded. This, paired with hearing the Groves Road tower was down for maintenance about a month ago, gives me reason to believe rebanding is imminent.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I've heard multiple units marking over the past two days about going in to get their radios rebanded. This, paired with hearing the Groves Road tower was down for maintenance about a month ago, gives me reason to believe rebanding is imminent.

Just mobiles.

gtaman

Not to be off topic. But does anyone know what radios they use. All the xts series look so much alike. I know the highway patrol uses xts 5000s for portables.

Status
Not open for further replies.