Columbus Railroad Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
I've never really listen to the rail frequencies but I figured I'd give it a shot. I looked at the DB page concerning rail frequencies for Ohio and I'm a bit confused. I live in North Columbus, Worthington to be exact. Which frequencies are most active in my area, for CSX and NS? Also, is there a link out there that would help me understand the termonology used by the railroads on the radio?

Thanks again for the help

Nasby

I would suggest that you progarm all of the dispatch/mailine frequencies listed by the Norfolk Southern RR, the CSX railroad and the Ohio Central RR. Those are the main tracks in Columbus. In addition, the frequencies for Parsons Yard might be good to monitor as that yard is in Columbus. Buckeye Yard was recently closed but you may still hear some switching activity on those channels. Once you start listening for a week or so, you'll most likely get a feel for what's going on. Most of the radio traffic will involve the dispatcher giving trains certain sections of track or giving them instructions on how to proceed. You will also hear the train crews calling out clear signals at various locations.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
I would suggest that you progarm all of the dispatch/mailine frequencies listed by the Norfolk Southern RR, the CSX railroad and the Ohio Central RR. Those are the main tracks in Columbus. In addition, the frequencies for Parsons Yard might be good to monitor as that yard is in Columbus. Buckeye Yard was recently closed but you may still hear some switching activity on those channels. Once you start listening for a week or so, you'll most likely get a feel for what's going on. Most of the radio traffic will involve the dispatcher giving trains certain sections of track or giving them instructions on how to proceed. You will also hear the train crews calling out clear signals at various locations.

I will do that thank you for the help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.