Columbus Rebanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

WuLabsWuTecH

So I keep reading on here that Columbus/Franklin County is done rebanding, but if so, why is my scanner not affected?

I am comparing my scanner to a department issued Motorola XTS and both are getting the same things. Granted, I don't think they took our radios down to the FAO to be reprogrammed lately (no one signed them out to take down there) so was the rebanding even done yet or is this just speculation?

gtaman

So I keep reading on here that Columbus/Franklin County is done rebanding, but if so, why is my scanner not affected?

I am comparing my scanner to a department issued Motorola XTS and both are getting the same things. Granted, I don't think they took our radios down to the FAO to be reprogrammed lately (no one signed them out to take down there) so was the rebanding even done yet or is this just speculation?

It's done. You may still hear some transmissions without re banding but your missing a lot. You may want to get your radio checked it probably still has the same control channels. An incorrectly programmed radio could cause a whole lot of problems. All of my radios were sent in about almost a year ago. That may be the case with yours. My un programmed scanner still worked but barley. I knew it was missing things.

Last edited:

WuLabsWuTecH

The radio I have issued was also sent in more than a year ago but I was under the impression that it was for some channel updates and not rebanding (it could have been and I just didn't know it). But if that was the case, how would it have worked when some of the radios were rebanded and others were not?

And I have programmed my scanner within the last year so maybe I have programmed in the new channels and just didn't know it! But I saw the threads poppin up recently and wasn't sure when the rebanding was done!

For a radioshack scanner, programming the rebanding would have been as easy as hitting a few buttons to indicate it was rebanded right? And for a uniden bearcat that I programmed about 6 months ago, would I have had the rebanded channels if I had looked at the radioreference tables at that time?

gtaman

The radio I have issued was also sent in more than a year ago but I was under the impression that it was for some channel updates and not rebanding (it could have been and I just didn't know it). But if that was the case, how would it have worked when some of the radios were rebanded and others were not?

And I have programmed my scanner within the last year so maybe I have programmed in the new channels and just didn't know it! But I saw the threads poppin up recently and wasn't sure when the rebanding was done!

For a radioshack scanner, programming the rebanding would have been as easy as hitting a few buttons to indicate it was rebanded right? And for a uniden bearcat that I programmed about 6 months ago, would I have had the rebanded channels if I had looked at the radioreference tables at that time?

Your issued radio and scanner may still work fine as the control channels have not changed. But they will miss out on a lot of transmissions. I had an XTS 5000 that wasn't re banded. It worked and still received some transmission but it would flip out and say out of range and not connect properly. I got it reprogrammed and it works fine.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Your issued radio and scanner may still work fine as the control channels have not changed.

Incorrect; the Franklin County, City of Columbus and OSU systems all have at least one new control channel each. If you don't put in the new ones your scanner will stop working when they're in use.

But they will miss out on a lot of transmissions. I had an XTS 5000 that wasn't re-banded. It worked and still received some transmission but it would flip out and say out of range and not connect properly. I got it reprogrammed and it works fine.

This is correct. Any radio or scanner that does not get the rebanding update (or is not capable of it) will miss transmissions as the radio attempts to switch to a frequency which is no longer in use.

gtaman

Incorrect; the Franklin County, City of Columbus and OSU systems all have at least one new control channel each. If you don't put in the new ones your scanner will stop working when they're in use.

This is correct. Any radio or scanner that does not get the rebanding update (or is not capable of it) will miss transmissions as the radio attempts to switch to a frequency which is no longer in use.

My bad I forgot about that control channel thanks Tom.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Excuse my ignorance on the matter, but to monitor systems that have been rebanded with the PSR-500 all I need to do is update the system's control channels correct? Im under the impression that if the correct control channels are programmed then the scanner automatically finds the voice channel in use.

Thanks in advance!

budevans

Excuse my ignorance on the matter, but to monitor systems that have been rebanded with the PSR-500 all I need to do is update the system's control channels correct? Im under the impression that if the correct control channels are programmed then the scanner automatically finds the voice channel in use.

Thanks in advance!

Depends on the type of system you are trying to monitor.

With a PSR-500 and a Moto II system you need to enter the Custom Band Plan and new control freq's.

From what I've read, if you were monitoring a Project 25 system then you only need to enter the new control freq's.

Last edited:

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Depends on the type of system you are trying to monitor.

With a PSR-500 and a Moto II system you need to enter the Custom Band Plan and new control freq's.

From what I've read, if you were monitoring a Project 25 system then you only need to enter the new control freq's.

Sorry, I'm trying to monitor several Type II smartnet systems in Franklin County, namely County Public Safety and The Ohio State University. Il try entering those tables and see how it goes.

Thanks again guys!

jaded

Feed Provider
Can someone verify: When using Win500 to import the Frankly County Public Safety systems directly from RR, is there any need to tweak the trunking tables (i.e. due to rebanding), or should Win500 take care of that automatically? I'm not 100% sure I'm hearing all of the transmissions, and it's either this or my scanner is starting to go deaf. Thanks!

budevans

Can someone verify: When using Win500 to import the Frankly County Public Safety systems directly from RR, is there any need to tweak the trunking tables (i.e. due to rebanding), or should Win500 take care of that automatically? I'm not 100% sure I'm hearing all of the transmissions, and it's either this or my scanner is starting to go deaf. Thanks!

You have to select, then enable the rebanding tables in WIN500.

There are two Trunking Tables settings, one is a button the other a drop down.

1. Click on the Trunking Tables (button) then select 800 Mhz rebanded from the drop down menu.

2. Next to the Trunk Tables label click on the drop down and select Custom.

Now you can save the changes and upload to your scanner.

jaded

Feed Provider
You have to select, then enable the rebanding tables in WIN500.

Thanks! In retrospect, that's likely what I did when programming a friend's scanner (Pro-164?) and why I'm not hearing as much on the Win-500. Many thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.