Com Port Splitteer

Status
Not open for further replies.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
Someone in this forum had talked about a com port spitter he uses. Anyone have details on this?

K8PBX

Are you talking about a comm port switch?

Since I only have a single serial port on my PC, I use a 4 port DB-9 (ABCD) switch to control multiple scanners. It's a bit of a cabling frenzy, but works just fine. Here's a link so you can see what it looks like: 4 Port Switch also one on eBay HERE

Last edited:

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
This was the post: Is there any chance of having support for more than 10 serial ports? I run serial splitting software/driver so that i can keep the feed up while making quick changes with the ARC250.

morfis

webstar22 said:
This was the post: Is there any chance of having support for more than 10 serial ports? I run serial splitting software/driver so that i can keep the feed up while making quick changes with the ARC250.

If you mean a switch box that will connect your single PC com port to 10 external devices then it's unlikely to be a common item. There were 2 and 8-postion versionsof th switch boxes available years ago but the 8-port ones seem rare now. I put a pci serial card in each of my "radio" PCs so they each have 9 actual com ports available. I still use a couple of the switch boxes to swap between some other lesser used kit.

RISC777

webstar22 said:

If you're looking at a hardware solution, there are cards that will provide up to 16 serial ports on that one card.

Alternative is to daisy chain external switch boxes, but that could be a giant pain in the neck not to count the cost of serial cables or/and gender benders.

Status
Not open for further replies.