com0com setup on windows 11 (Help)

Saint

Premium Subscriber
I have been trying to setup Com0Com software on my Windows 11 computer but it will not setup any com ports for me they are left blank, I have set this program on Windows 10 with no problems but now I have a new computer that is running Windows 11 and can't seem to get Com0Com to setup the two ports for me. Any help apricated.
Steve

Attachments

• com0com1.png
    com0com1.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 19
  • com0com2.png
    com0com2.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 20
  • com0com3.png
    com0com3.png
    43 KB · Views: 20

ArloG

Don't know if it helps. Just did the install on a Win 11 pc.
Downloaded from Sourceforge.
Unzipped with 7 Zip.
Opened the extracted folder.
Right clicked on the 64 bit version.
Run as administrator.
A bunch of command windows popped up and closed as the install proceeded.
When finished I launched the application.
Opened device manager. Scrolled down to Ports.
2 new ports showed from the application.
I clicked the 2 top boxes for 2 ports that didn't show in dev. mgr.
Clicked Apply. 2 new Com ports showed in dev. mgr.
Added another port. Clicked it's 2 top boxes. Clicked Apply.
2 more ports showed in dev. mgr.

Did you install it with Administrator privileges?

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply and trying to help me with COM0COM Software, this is the problem I am still having with COM0COM V2.2 and v3.0.
Just can't get it to work.
Steve

ArloG

Did you read and follow my process to a tee?
Please use 7 Zip.
When you extract the file in 7 Zip....right click on the zip file, scroll down to Extract to....you get a new folder with the installer.
Yes, I KNOW the context menu in 11 is a PITA. But a Google for "How to restore classic Windows 10 context menu in Windows 11" will fix that once and for all.
NOW. Right Click the 64 bit installer inside the new folder. No need to go to properties and change permissions and all that crap.
Choose what I said. Run as Administrator. I had no issues and neither will you if you follow the steps.
Let it install. The rest is easy. Open the com0com application. See the list of ports?
Want them to work? Click around a little bit. See Virtual Port Pair <whatever>?
See in the right window? Click on both top "use Ports class" boxes. You now have new virtual com ports in device manager.
Be sure to uninstall all instances of your previous version installs first.
I got my copy of com0com-3.0.0.0-i386-and-x64-signed.zip from Sourceforge:

And make sure you install the 64 bit version.
I just tried a 2nd Win 11 pc the exact same way and it worked without a burp.
Come on, you can do it.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
I will not give up I know it's something I am not doing right, this is a video of COM0COM V2.2 I just tried too set up, again thanks for the help
I will now try the 3.0 x64 and follow you instructions and see if it will work, I will uninstall everything from the computer and check device manager
Steve

ArloG

Oh no. Your first 2 minutes of the 'tube video was all screwed up. 2000% more complicated than needed.
Never use Windows built in file extractor.
Just stick with 7 Zip. If you put the compressed file in a folder....lets call it Crap. Look.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Extracting with the native Windows extraction tool is no different than 7zip or any other tool. I’m betting you have remnants in the registry that are causing the issue.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Extracting with the native Windows extraction tool is no different than 7zip or any other tool. I’m betting you have remnants in the registry that are causing the issue.
I have used both the Windows extractor and 7 zip with no luck on v2.2 and 3.0 com0com I even used a restore point to set my computer to a older different time and that fixed nothing also shut off my AV Windows security and no luck.
Steve

ArloG

Sorry you're having so many problems. One thing comes to mind. Perhaps a cluttered or corrupted driver store from the botched attempts.
The steps in the link will let you see every device that was ever plugged into the pc but is no longer there.
Virtual ports included. Locate everything that doesn't look good in ports in dev. mgr. and delete them.
If there is an option to remove drivers associated with the disconnected devices, do that too.
If you uninstalled com0com. Did you happen to check if the programs folder where it was installed to is gone too?
After, did you perform a cold boot...not restart Windows? Do you have another Windows 11 machine that you could try the Admin. install of 3.0? Since it worked for me w/o a hitch could you please not attempt to install 2.2 after things are cleaned up. Stick with 3.0 win64.

ArloG

Thanks for the help but nothing is working for me
Steve
Sorry about that. A restore point sometimes doesn't even do it. My suggestion then if you haven't tried the show disconnected devices procedure is image the drive and reinstall windows. Sounds like you poked around installing the virtual serial port application and corrupted something. From your post # 1 the circled check boxes weren't checked. Of course your did check them I hope.

Check.png

Saint

Premium Subscriber
The computer is not even a week old and I tried to in-stall com0com 3.0 the first time I bought the computer and it would not work I have did alll the Windows updates and check to see if there was anything corupted with Windows and found nothing. I also ran all the security checks and used the Dell programs to make sure everything is working and there are no issues on the computer.
Steve thanks anyway.
Steve

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Again I want to thank everyone for trying to help me with installing com0com software, I never did get any of the com0com software to install properly onto my computer after over three day of messing around so I downloaded Free Virtual Serial Ports and did the install and it installled with no problems. It took a couple of minutes to download and then do the install onto my computer with no problems, thanks again everyone.
Steve