Combiner for 6 radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I have 6 Standard GX4800UT Mobile radios that I plan to stack up with a bracket and use as a UHF Monitoring base. I need to combine the 6 Antenna connectors (PL-259) into one Coax line to attach a UHF Whip antenna to. Anyone have any ideas for what to use as a combiner? These radios will be RX-only, so there will not be any transmitting.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Single band multicouplers are the proper device for this type of application. There are many brands, Sinclair and ElectroLine come to mind.

You can also use a Stridsberg multicoupler, they come in 4 and 8 port models, active and passive (active have a pre-amp to counter the insertion loss).

You could rig up some sort of adaptor rig for this but the loss would be horrible.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
It's going to be set up as a base station. Everything I am listening to I can easily pull in on a rubber duck on a portable, so I can get away with just attaching some bare coax to the radios, but i'm exploring options.

trooperdude

Database Admin
Electroline 8 port multicoupler. (cable drop amp)

Cheapest solution.

Find them on Ebay. Terminate the un-used ports with a termination
resistor.

Buy or make some cables for "PL259 to F" for the radio to multicoupler link.

SO239 to F adapter for the antenna input.

Find the lowest amplification in your situation, you just want to overcome insertion
loss and no more.

N9JIG

Sheriff
ATF1224 said:
It's going to be set up as a base station. Everything I am listening to I can easily pull in on a rubber duck on a portable, so I can get away with just attaching some bare coax to the radios, but i'm exploring options.

If that's the case then you can try a regular TV style distribution coupler. For about $5.00 at your local Lowes and a couple pieces of coax and a few connectors it would be a cheap experiment, and if the local signal strength os strong enough might just fit your needs for under $20 all told.

Status
Not open for further replies.