Combining Multiple Antenna's

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoff5093

I will be getting a Uniden 396T, and when I use it at home I was thinking of using the 2M/440 antenna that I have up on my roof (which currently is for my FTM 10R Ham), for use on the 140/440 bands on the scanner. Now instead of switching them back and forth manually, I want to get a switch. Now I looked and found some nice ones, although my concern is that some don't specify what frequencies they are good for (ones from eBay mainly).

So this was my plan, and if you could tell me if it will work or not. I would have one switch that leads to my 2M/440 antenna on the roof, once feed will go to my HAM and the other to the scanner. Then I wanted to install at least a 900MHz antenna, and possibly a 10/6M antenna for use on the <60MHz bands. Now would all three of these antennas be able to lead into one 3 port switch, which would then lead to my radio? Or would having 3 radios connected via a switch/combiner not work as I am expecting it to? My goal was to have 3 antennas which are designed for certain bands, all work together to get great coverage, instead of buying an "all in one" scanner antenna.

af5rn

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104064

Although I still hold out hope for an answer more to my liking, the answer I got there is basically "no", unless you want to invest in some pretty expensive commercial diplexers and combiners. I was trying to do it so save an extra antenna hole or two in my car roof. But there's really no benefit to it in a home installation, where roof space isn't a factor, and where antenna performance is much greater.

Just get you a high-quality scanner antenna and coax and stick it up there as high as practicable, get better results, and spend less than you would on the hardware to co-phase those other two antennae.

geoff5093

Thanks for the info, I don't know how/where I'm going to mount the scanner anteanna, but I guess the scantenna is pretty popular, I may pick one of those up.

Status
Not open for further replies.