Combining UHF and 800 MHz antennas to one Coax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

First off, I did search about duplexers and am now just more confused than before. I could use some specific guidance to make sure I don't order something I don't need.

I'm trying to use two antennas connected into my scanner. Most of the departments I'm listening to are in the 450 Hz range, or the 800 Hz range. I have two separate antennas for this range, but I can't seem to find a duplexer or other method for combining their signals into one coax cable to feed into my scanner (Home Patrol). Any experience with this in the past, or ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help.

n5ims

Something like this (MFJ Enterprises Inc.) may do for you. Although you only need 2 of the 3 bands, you can simply terminate the extra one (put a simple 50 ohm resister in a connector and screw that on the empty socket) if you want, or add a standard VHF-Hi (or VHF-Low even) antenna for a wider coverage. Put your UHF (450 MHz) antenna into the mid-frequency range connector. Place the 800 MHz antenna into your high-frequency range connector.

Be aware that the device rolls off on the high range around 850 MHz, but unless you're listening to inputs this won't affect the 800 MHz system monitoring. It will cause issues with the 700 MHz systems though.

If this frequency range isn't optimal for you, simply can use this device as a guide for what you know is out there and try to find one that's a better match for you.

wtp

on the cheap

two antennas into a tv splitter to the scanner
since you are not transmitting nothing really matters
you really don't need two antennas so try one and then the other if you want
splitters go both ways they just work that way
you can even use rg6 cable with f connectors if you want
the only time signal strength is that important is when it is so low that splitting it would be unreceivable
like if you are trying to hear a mobile unit 25 miles away

Status
Not open for further replies.