ComEd 800 MHz P25 Phase II Trunked System

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
ComEd is in the process of building out an 800 MHz P25 Phase II trunked system to replace their current 900 MHz P25 system. This is an extended implementation system and ComEd has told the FCC that they don't expect the new system to be fully operationsl until some time in 2026. Control channels for sites in (at least) the Chicago area are already on the air and a limited amount of encrypted traffic has already been noted. Maybe it's being patched from the 900 MHz system?

I have created a database page for the new system here. Control channels, NACs and site numbers for a few Chicago-area sites have been confirmed, but this information still needs to be determined for the other sites that might also be currently active. Unfortunately, I don't believe that it would be too much of a stretch to expect that, like with the 900 MHz system, this will be a totally encrypted system.

Any and all submissions for this system would be appreciated!

Starcom21

IL /MO/Global DB Adm!n
Database Admin
It's the same system ID as the 900 mhz system. Already have s submission with info that I'll be working on tomorrow. I'm assuming a new DB entry is not necessary

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
Site numbering for the 800 system starts where the 900 system site numbers end. The 800 system is P25 Phase II, I believe the 900 system is regular P25.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I've seen TGID's 602 & 1543 over the past few days on the Skokie Simulcast site, both encrypted. I previously reported 1543 was Phase 2, but today I'm just seeing the ENCRY indicator on both, which I believe is Phase 1?

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I've seen TGID's 602 & 1543 over the past few days on the Skokie Simulcast site, both encrypted. I previously reported 1543 was Phase 2, but today I'm just seeing the ENCRY indicator on both, which I believe is Phase 1?
Not sure if you are able to setup on screen display to setup slot. I visited chi town 12 years ago and all tgs are ENC.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if you are able to setup on screen display to setup slot. I visited chi town 12 years ago and all tgs are ENC.
Yes, I am able and no slot was showing, which I believe is considered encrypted/Phase 1. Because this is probably a patch from the 900 Mhz. system, I don't know if this will be the permanent set up or it will change when everyone is over on 800?

fourgres

Premium Subscriber
Seems like a total waste of $$ . As most (not all) of the traffic is used by cell phones or MDT. Sorry if it was off topic.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Seems like a total waste of $$ . As most (not all) of the traffic is used by cell phones or MDT. Sorry if it was off topic.
Since it's encrypted (at this time), no idea what traffic is there. Back in the old days, when they were on 153.635 in Chicago with a very strong repeater, it was some very informative listening, especially waiting for your electricity to return and sitting on the front porch with a hand held scanner on a hot Summer day.

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
Has anyone heard why they are vacating 900 MHz for 800 MHz?
Six megahertz of the 900 MHz LMR band (936.500-939.500 MHz and the corresponding 897.500-900.500 input range) will be used for a nationwide (?) LTE system. Current licensees will need to vacate this portion of the spectrum, not sure by what date. See this link for more information.

Last edited:

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I reviewed my recording from my initial report as TDID 1543 being Phase 2. It was showing Slots 1 & 2 with a Radio ID of 1011016. Don't know if that is different than the 900 Mhz. system RID's, or unique to the 800 Mhz. system?

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
UPDATE - Since both 800 and 900 MHz sites share the same system ID, they have all been listed together on what was formerly the ComEd 900 MHz database page, now just called ComEd.

crazy88

Premium Subscriber
Please excuse my ignorance, why wouldn't they just pay for some additional TG's on Starcom21?

N9JIG

Sheriff
Please excuse my ignorance, why wouldn't they just pay for some additional TG's on Starcom21?
They are not allowed to use any of the 700 MHz. freqs as these are restricted to public safety. Any sites that are 700 only would require them to add 800 MHz. channels to them and then program the Comm Ed radios to only use those. Ameren has the same issue downstate.

While we can only guess otherwise at this point, it could be that Comm Ed and SC21 do not want to go thru the hassle of doing this and it may have been more expedient to build out their own system. There could also be capacity and data issues.

fourgres

Premium Subscriber
As CommEd is now a part of Exelon, who has other entities throughout the U.S.A. it is a possibility they will use the frequency's in other sub company's, PECO etc.

fourgres

Premium Subscriber
I did a search of PECO Electric, etc, and it is a possibility they may use the same Frequency's. It would be a great advantage to do so.
Just a wild wild guess. As I know CommEd has and does send crews to PECO.