Comercial or Comunity radio in Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalle7

Hello there

Would like to know if its possible to set up a comercial or comuntity radiostation in Australia coming from abroad. Is there any possibility, how much does the licenses cost, etc. More information I get the better

Thank you

Comint

Premium Subscriber
Hello there

Would like to know if its possible to set up a comercial or comuntity radiostation in Australia coming from abroad. Is there any possibility, how much does the licenses cost, etc. More information I get the better

Thank you
Short answer, NO. Even well known organisations such as VOA and the BBC can't set up stations in Australia.

--
Comint

Kalle7

Thank you for your replies

We have spoken to some companies that said that it can be done. We are actually not gonna broadcast a radiostation from abroad, our plan is to set the radiostation up in Australia not bringin a radiostation from abroad. More answers would be appreciated.

Comint

Premium Subscriber
We have spoken to some companies that said that it can be done. We are actually not gonna broadcast a radiostation from abroad, our plan is to set the radiostation up in Australia not bringin a radiostation from abroad. More answers would be appreciated.
The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) is the regulatory authority governing Commercial and Community Broadcasting in Australia. Suggest you contact them for accurate answers.

--
Comint

richardc63

Hello there

Thank you

Broadcast spectrum in Australia is very sought after and I can't see under what criteria you would even be considered for such a licence. Commercial licences come up very rarely and when they do they go for very big dollars- read millions in major cities. Without knowing who or what you are I doubt you would be able to compete against the major media players. In community radio you need to demonstrate a purpose- who or what are you communicating with? Why wouldn't the community initiate this, not someone from overseas? Many "communities" have licences based on geographic community or ethnic based community (Arabic, Fijian for example) but I can't see how you would qualify. There is a 3rd category of low power public information services- like tourist info for example.

Talk to the ACMA anyway but I think you might be battling to qualify.

Cheers,

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.