Comet CTS-50M Flat Cable Window Gap Jumper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Batcher

So my work was kinda slow today with all this rain so I was able to take the opportunity to spend some time shopping for some new toys. I'm looking at a Diamond discone antenna to add to my old Uniden and ultimately with my new bcd436hp when it comes in. Does anyone have experience using one of those Comet CTS-50M window gap jumpers to bring the coax inside the house? I have a old TV aerial that would be perfect for mounting the discone. My conundrum is getting the coax inside, I can just imagine the fit my wife would have if she caught me drilling any holes.

Face it fellas, happy wife happy life!

mciupa

Database Admin
You may not have to do too much drilling. My wife is of the same mindset.

What I did was look around the outside of the home that had access points to inside. The central air conditioning unit had piping coming into the house. That is where I chose to have the coax come in. After it was in place, I used some expanding foam to seal it.

That window gap jumper looks good but I would want it 100% closed to prevent condensation and mold.

Batcher

Good idea. I checked it out tonight and my furnace intake and vent pipes are close by. I should be able to feed the wire in beside one of them and then seal it up with some caulking.

mbstone99

Premium Subscriber
So my work was kinda slow today with all this rain so I was able to take the opportunity to spend some time shopping for some new toys. I'm looking at a Diamond discone antenna to add to my old Uniden and ultimately with my new bcd436hp when it comes in. Does anyone have experience using one of those Comet CTS-50M window gap jumpers to bring the coax inside the house? I have a old TV aerial that would be perfect for mounting the discone. My conundrum is getting the coax inside, I can just imagine the fit my wife would have if she caught me drilling any holes.

Face it fellas, happy wife happy life!

I am in the same boat (no wife though) but I don't really want to drill any holes through my wall either.. and I looked but I don't have any place really to run a cable through a hole already up here. I did check eham and the reviews on it are quiet favourable. It might be something I might look into.

Comet CTC-50M Flat Cable Window Gap Coax Jumper Product Reviews

Matt

Last edited:

mbstone99

Premium Subscriber
Here is a question for your guys. I really interested in getting this. I do have a UHF I believe maybe a Yagi antenna with I think a SO-239 connector sitting outside on a small tripod mount being unused. So I was looking at coax at Universal.. so I am guessing if I get this I would need the PL-259 to PL-259 and a PL-259 to BNC but what would be the best type of coax to get? I am guessing the LMR-240?

Coaxial Cable, Coax Cable Preassembled

Matt

Batcher

I'm not even going to pretend to to know all the little in's and out's of coax cable. I will leave that up to someone with more experience in the topic to answer.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Just started using it

HI all,

I just got one running here at the beach condo. I just deploy my magmount antenna on metal baclony table, and close door on the tape-like antenna feed. Seems to work ok. Long term, I'm not sure how durable it is, but this is for temporary deployment.

You might want to consider one of those MFJ things like an MFJ-4602. I have used on in in a rent house before.
It's essentially a board with panel mount coax jacks on each side. You close the window on the board. I used one at a rent house and sealed with silicone and weather stripping. Worked fine as well.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Soffit Vent

Just reread this. Most of us hams, or at least many of use, just route the coax through the side of a soffit vent. just rebend it over the coax and seal (however you wish) to keep out critters. You also need to have some type of "drip loop" in the coax to prevent rain ingress.

Status
Not open for further replies.