• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

comet gp-9nc uhf/vhf - adding radials

Status
Not open for further replies.

wqzw301

Hello all,
For a couple of years, I have been using a Laird FG series uhf antenna, for my repeater.
Now I am adding a marine radio into the shack.
I Did my research and comet gp-9nc looked like the best dual band, repeater capable, antenna... It is a commercial frequency version of comet's 2m/70cm gp9 antenna and affordable enough.
I also liked that it had the correct length (19") long radials for it's lowest frequency. Only 3 radials tho...
Upon it being delivered I noticed that the 3 radials are threaded (screwed) into a stainless steel disk at the base.
I was thinking about adding 3 more radials to the antenna, to make a total of six...
It would be easy and inexpensive. 3 stainless 1/8" diameter 19" rods, thread the ends with a 1/8 - 20 die.
Drill 3 holes in-between the 3 existing radials and thread them with a 1/8 - 20 tap.
And have 6 radials instead of 3....
I do have circulator/ isolators on the tx of both radios, band pass cavities on the rx sides and a diplexer, to keep the vhf out of the uhf and visa versa.
Any opinions, comments on adding more radials?
Please and Thank You

prcguy

I think the results of adding more ground radials will be positive and measurable. Will you see or hear any difference on air? No. BTW, I've had two commercial Comet GP-9s and while they are ok in the 460-470Mhz range for GMRS, etc, the VHF side was sharply tuned to 155MHz. I mean sharp like at 154.5MHz and below the match started to get wild and above 155.5MHz the same, so its not useable on the VHF marine band. I still have one in the garage rafters if you want one cheap.

These antennas can also have internal junctions of chrome or nickle plated parts which can introduce IMD in a full duplex system. I would recommend running a full duplex noise figure test with a load on your duplexer, then a known acceptable repeater antenna, then the Comet. If your receiver sensitivity is affected in any way using the Comet then only use it for simplex type use.

wqzw301

I think the results of adding more ground radials will be positive and measurable. Will you see or hear any difference on air? No. BTW, I've had two commercial Comet GP-9s and while they are ok in the 460-470Mhz range for GMRS, etc, the VHF side was sharply tuned to 155MHz. I mean sharp like at 154.5MHz and below the match started to get wild and above 155.5MHz the same, so its not useable on the VHF marine band. I still have one in the garage rafters if you want one cheap.

These antennas can also have internal junctions of chrome or nickle plated parts which can introduce IMD in a full duplex system. I would recommend running a full duplex noise figure test with a load on your duplexer, then a known acceptable repeater antenna, then the Comet. If your receiver sensitivity is affected in any way using the Comet then only use it for simplex type use.
I did test for nickel... but not chrome. Duplex noise test sounds good thank you.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Is the modified disk going to handle the mechanical stress of double the physical load being attached, especially with the body being altered?

wqzw301

I did take it apart and it was an intermod disaster...... plus wire gouge brass rod.
I gutted it and I'm turning it into a broad band vhf quarter wave with a .5 inch copper tube element.
thanks
d

Status
Not open for further replies.