comfortableProgramming issue?

Otter234

Hey everyone, I'm back with another question as some of you guys know I am pretty new to the whole scanning hobby and was wondering if some of the veterans of this hobby can help me out. I was questioning my programming skills thinking I'm loosing a lot of channels, Because I just keep finding more and more to program in to listen to. I feel that I could be listening to a whole lot more in my area and was hoping some one would help me out that already has the L.A area programmed and feels confident to post it so I can put it in to mine. I know its asking for all your blood sweat and tiers just to post it but it would deeply help me out a lot to finally use it to best of the capability. If you want you can PM me the file or whatever feels comfortable to you. Thx again to those....

Eng74

It is kind of a catch 22 issue. The more you scan the more you can miss too if you are using one radio, especially in LA.

wtp

i have 5 older radios on my desk to put the analog stuff in and free up the main radio (digital)
yes, the more you try and listen to, the less you hear,
even one radio to put the quieter freqs in can help.
one radio of mine has the space station and state forestry
next has mutual aid and some mil air
next has the DEA
next has business stuff
last has a mix of active ones

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I was questioning my programming skills thinking I'm loosing a lot of channels, Because I just keep finding more and more to program in to listen to.
You need to learn to be selective in your scanning and programming. It's an acquired skill and you have to realize that with one scanner, you can't listen to everything.

For instance, my primary scanner at my home office desk is an (ancient) BC250D. In my main "LA Metro" bank I monitor:
  • LAPD valleywide tac
  • LAPD citywide tac
  • LAPD Metro/SWAT
  • LASD A-tac and L-Tac for my area
  • LASD SWAT
  • CHP Altadena and W. Valley
  • CHP Blue
  • ANF Admin and Forest Net
  • LA City FD Ch 8 dispatch and Tac 17
  • LA County FD Blue 8 and Blue 12
  • VFIRE 21 (old OES White)
  • 121.5 and 243.0 aircraft emergency and a couple of milair UHF CAP channels
I have the full systems for LAPD, LASD, LACity FD, LA Co. FD, the "Foothill" comm plan for brush fires, and misc. aircraft frequencies programmed into other banks to be called up as needed if there's a major incident.

This is enough to keep me situationally aware without driving me bonkers with constant chatter.
I also have a couple of other scanners, plus various amateur radios that can be called into service if there's a major incident to monitor, but I rarely need them.

iscanvnc2

Premium Subscriber
In addition to the excellent list provided by ladn you might consider the following two marine channels, especially if you’re near the coast.

CH 16 (156.800) marine emergency
CH 22A (157,100) Coast Guard liaison frequency. After initial contact with CG on 16, CG will have vessels switch to 22A. CG Notices to Mariners, scheduled marine weather forecasts, and emergency announcements are also on 22A.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
It might help narrow down a good list if we knew a little more about your location. "LA Area" covers such a vast geographic footprint, there is no way to monitor everything without missing just as much as you hear.

South Bay? Valley? Foothill? Central LA? West LA? See what I mean? ;)

Lots of variables, so give us a general area, and we can start there, then expand as necessary.

Otter234

It might help narrow down a good list if we knew a little more about your location. "LA Area" covers such a vast geographic footprint, there is no way to monitor everything without missing just as much as you hear.

South Bay? Valley? Foothill? Central LA? West LA? See what I mean? ;)

Lots of variables, so give us a general area, and we can start there, then expand as necessary.
Im in San Gabriel valley/San dimas area

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
You'll want a bank of key frequencies...and then full systems in other banks! If you hear something in the key bank, then you can enable the full bank to catch all the goings on. This is where the advice you've been getting is headed...
As has also been alluded to, multiple scanners are a help to not miss anything...I have four, fed into an inexpensive mixer to one speaker...things can be switched, turned up/down easily! Even some moldy oldy scanners are still good for the analog stuff. These can be had cheap...
You've received some very good advice from those local to you...now you have to determine what you really want to listen to...

Eng74

That is the one nice thing about the LA area. You can still get away with analog scanners for a lot of the departments and only need digital for a few systems.