Coming to LA for a week in May/June.. what to listen to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would be the most interesting systems to listen to when visiting the LA area w/ a scanner? I have a 396t and a pro-97 type scanner.

We'll be around for about a week vacationing, just curious. Day trips to Twentynine Palms, perhaps San Diego and Catalina.

any ideas would be great!

Eng74

Wher in L.A. are you going to be that is really a big area. What do you like to listen to? With the 396 you can get pretty much everything.

jrholm

For Twentynine Palms your going to want San Bernardino County System 4 (trunked system). For Catalina Island you want Los Angeles County Sheriff Disp. 7, L-tac-2, Avalon Fire Dept. and L.A. County fire Baywatch. Don't know about San Diego

Mick said:
It's just that "L.A." is an enormous area with about 15 million people and scores and scores of public safety and thousands of business users.

The Calif. database at RR http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?stid=6
is filled with hundreds of pages of frqs. you could look at and take days perusing.

I probably don't have an idea of how big it is most likely then... I was thinking like Chicago for some reason.

jrholm said:
For Twentynine Palms your going to want San Bernardino County System 4 (trunked system). For Catalina Island you want Los Angeles County Sheriff Disp. 7, L-tac-2, Avalon Fire Dept. and L.A. County fire Baywatch. Don't know about San Diego

Hey that's a start, thank you.

Eng74 said:
Wher in L.A. are you going to be that is really a big area. What do you like to listen to? With the 396 you can get pretty much everything.

Well, basically I was wanting city police/ county sheriff, ems and fire for the most part. county-wide stuff moreso since we will be in a different area of an evening every couple of days.

I understand the lapd is encrypted now?

jrholm said:

ok I found the system 4 for san Bern just fine, but for some reason I can't find the LA county sheriff/ems/fire system in the RR database.

Ok hereis what I'm trying to find w/ arc396 and having no luck:

la county sheriff system which includes the sheriff, ems and fire dispatch.

can someone point me?

Eng74

Go with L.A. County Fire, L.A. City Fire, Orange County Fire. Verdugo with the ICIS system which will get most of the smaller departments, Long Beach Fire. You will also be able to get LAPD. That should keep the scanner locked up all the time.

RobertW1

DamnDirtyApe said:
I probably don't have an idea of how big it is most likely then... I was thinking like Chicago for some reason.

The difference between LA and large cities back East is that it is really spread out. Cities run together and you can drive 100 miles without seeing open spaces. You might leave LA City proper but just move into another city without knowing it. That is why the Los Angeles area is often just referred to as "Southern California".

What impressed me about NY City was that as large as the city was you could drive 30 minutes and be out in the middle of the woods. You can't do that in LA metropolitan area unless you live on the very fringes.

If you're doing the standard tourist attractions in Southern California (Universal Studios, Warner Bros Studios, Hollywood, Disneyland, the beaches, Seaworld, etc.) You'll find frequencies for all of these areas in the database. What's even better is that you can load these "systems" into your 396T scanner via software, directly from the database.

Last edited:
Eng74 said:
Go with L.A. County Fire, L.A. City Fire, Orange County Fire. Verdugo with the ICIS system which will get most of the smaller departments, Long Beach Fire. You will also be able to get LAPD. That should keep the scanner locked up all the time.

for some reason with arc396 I cannot for the life of me find these systems. conventional or otherwise. I can find anything else it seems in the city........

thanks for the explanation, that helps understand what we're getting into a little better I think. We're flying into LAX, getting a car , driving out to 29p for a few days, then coming back, doing the beaches, six flags, knotts, TPIR (hopefully), catalina, mash former site up in malibu creek SP, daytrip to sandiego. Coming back to st louis via amtrak LA/SF/chi/stl.

RobertW1 said:
The difference between LA and large cities back East is that it is really spread out. Cities run together and you can drive 100 miles without seeing open spaces. You might leave LA City proper but just move into another city without knowing it. That is why the Los Angeles area is often just referred to as "Southern California".

What impressed me about NY City was that as large as the city was you could drive 30 minutes and be out in the middle of the woods. You can't do that in LA metropolitan area unless you live on the very fringes.

If you're doing the standard tourist attractions in Southern California (Universal Studios, Warner Bros Studios, Hollywood, Disneyland, the beaches, Seaworld, etc.) You'll find frequencies for all of these areas in the database. What's even better is that you can load these "systems" into your 396T scanner via software, directly from the database.

Status
Not open for further replies.