Coming to the Cincy area for Christmas, scanning/ham tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndyRick

Hi, all, Rick, N9GSU from Indianapolis here.

I'll be arriving in Sharonville on Christmas Eve morning, and will be staying through the 26th. I know there's lots to scan there, but just curious if anyone had any tips for agencies that are especially interesting to monitor. I'll be using a home patrol, and my main areas of interest to monitor are fire, ems, and milair.

I'll also have 2 meters and 440 with me.....I know there are quite a few repeaters in that area, according to the directory. Which ones are the most active?

Thanks,
Rick N9GSU

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
You will want Central and East Sector talkgroups on the Hamilton County-Cincinnati system for the areas around Sharonville. New UHF fire repeaters are now active simulcasting 800 MHz fire dispatch. 460.3000 West, 4605.5000 East, I-75 is dividing line, so Sharonville Fire Stations are 86, 87 and 88. Sharonville Police are 4SAM 10 -99 units.

Blue Ash and Springdale are neighboring cities so you should also hear some
good listening from them. Tri-County Mall is close by in Springdale.

Plug in MARCS sites Greenhills, Cincinnati, Loveland, Lebanon should be the main ones to monitor for OSP and other traffic.

There should be no military activity to hear since they will be off for the holiday too. Just in case the OH ANG 123rd ACS is located in nearby Blue Ash and use 240.350 to control activity in the Buckeye and Brush Creek MOAs.

Main repeater to monitor is 146.880 123.0 PL Cincinnati FM Club, you might find some of the MONIX folk on as they like to hang out there.
Other repeaters:

146.6700 123.0 PL
146.7000 123.0 PL
146.9250 123.0 PL

Happy Holidays and enjoy your visit.

Last edited:

IndyRick

Thank you so much, Mark, this helps me narrow things down for what will actually be in my area. Much appreciated!

Rick N9GSU

IndyRick

I'll be arriving tomorrow afternoon, and if any of you hear me on the air, I'd love to chat!

Merry Christmas all,

Rick N9GSU

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I will be in Cinci later this summer, is this fairly accurate? I'll be packing a 396T and a cache of FPP XTS radios for VHF and UHF. Does Ohio have issues with mobile/portable scanners?

How does the CPD act about out-of-towners toting radios. I know some areas it's frowned upon (yeah, I know- we live in the USA right? but post 9/11 everyone has a bug up their butt).

I want to take my toys but I don't want to get harassed. Thoughts?

KB8KOJ

Premium Subscriber
Ohio doesn't have any "state" scanner laws. As long as you aren't using them to aid criminal activity. KY is a different story.. But being a licensed ham don't think you have much to worry about. Hear varying stories on the KY laws. Some say the Ham license exemption is just for Ham radios which rx out of band. Others say scanners are exempt too. I keep a copy of my Ham license next to my auto registration.

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Ohio doesn't have any "state" scanner laws. As long as you aren't using them to aid criminal activity. KY is a different story.. But being a licensed ham don't think you have much to worry about. Hear varying stories on the KY laws. Some say the Ham license exemption is just for Ham radios which rx out of band. Others say scanners are exempt too. I keep a copy of my Ham license next to my auto registration.

that's what I was looking for.
I've heard that about KY, I do plan to have my ham and GMRS license with me just in case, and since I don't plan on violating any laws, I should be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.