Comments Requested on Interim Rule Banning U.S. Federal Agencies from Buying Chinese Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

romanr

I worked in a mobile lab at Motorola and we took apart mobiles from Bosch and others to see how they worked.
I should add, a fair amount of Motorola's competitors used Motorola's IC's and transistors in their radios. So at the time Motorola was in good shape to have competition. Then they decided to cash out the Semiconductor group to others forfeiting IP rights, revenue, R&D resources( Fab labs) and having to buy those parts on the market instead of with "blue money".

I worked 19 years in Motorola Semi (DSP Division). The 'warring tribes' mentality at Motorola eventually reached the point where the handset and infrastructure groups would buy other company's semiconductors over Motorola Semi - often in spite. They argued against working together to build processors tuned to their needs because "it would expose their IP to their competitors". Then, they would go to other semiconductor companies and collaborate on processors and firmware, often just to spite Moto Semi. "Warring Tribes".

There never was an "adult in the room" with the courage to force what should have been a very favorable symbiotic relationship.

It was a great company when I started....

RFI-EMI-GUY

Why did the U.S. Government ever started buying anything from a Communist country like CHINA?

When they started embracing capitalism as a financial strategy. Now that they are effective and successful at capitalism, and not simply buying stuff from the US, they are suddenly a new threat and hated by certain circles.

A crazy topsy turvy world.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I worked 19 years in Motorola Semi (DSP Division). The 'warring tribes' mentality at Motorola eventually reached the point where the handset and infrastructure groups would buy other company's semiconductors over Motorola Semi - often in spite. They argued against working together to build processors tuned to their needs because "it would expose their IP to their competitors". Then, they would go to other semiconductor companies and collaborate on processors and firmware, often just to spite Moto Semi. "Warring Tribes".

There never was an "adult in the room" with the courage to force what should have been a very favorable symbiotic relationship.

It was a great company when I started....

In my opinion, Bob Galvin was the adult in the room. His retirement resulted in the chaos taking over. It seemed that every year or so the company was reinventing itself adopting some new fashion business model. I was in sales during that later period and we were continually attending "reeducation classes" while ignoring the customers. There was also an overwhelming herd mentality within organizations. There was no creativity in business meetings, instead competition was viewed as evil and rather than face it head on, there was instead great defensive effort to conceal weakness rather than fix it. I saw a $48 million deal lost because of a boneheaded decision from corporate. Rather than fight that misstep internally, the position was one of retreating and pretending that the Motorola was infallible. As a result a bid was submitted that was incompliant with the terms Motorola had initially convinced the customer to require and was excessive price because of results that decision.

And yes, it was a great place to work until the crazies took over.

Status
Not open for further replies.