• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Commercial businesses using FRS/GMRS? Chick-fil-A, I'm looking at you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

napjerk

Premium Subscriber
Hi, I'm new here. :) Just getting that out of the way.

I'm pretty sure the Chick-fil-a restaurant 2 miles away from my house is using HTs on GMRS to relay orders etc. Isn't this improper commercial use of the band?

They seem to send one worker out to wrangle the drive-thru lines using an iPad and what looks like a cheap/Baofeng HT. They use the HT to relay large/unusual orders ("I need 6 regular sandwiches and 3 vanilla shakes", etc), and when they key up, it sounds like they're standing right behind my chair. They're probably not even using them in reduced power mode (they only need to TX like 40 feet to the kitchen) as they really blow my hair back when they transmit.

They seem to be using them simplex on 462.6375

It's not a horrible inconvenience but what would you do?

Mike
WRFW327

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber

FRS is licensed by rule. This means an individual license is not required to operate an FRS radio provided you comply with the rules. You may operate an FRS radio regardless of your age, and for personal or for business use if you are not a representative of a foreign government.

Very simple google search for FRS business use. It's the featured result.

There's nothing wrong with business use of FRS as long as they're using part 95 FRS radios.

wtp

i listen to everyone.
it is short lived, until this virus stuff goes away.
lock out that channel or listen for any funny stuff.
i left a fast food line one night when they said between themselves, "we need the bug guy here fast".
information is always useful. i did go back at a later date, it was no big deal.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Since they are legally authorized to use the frequency, as @KK6ZTE pointed out, why would you want to do anything to interfere or otherwise affect them? If you can prove they are not using a properly certified radio (your OP says "looks like") or wrong power setting then you can file a complaint with the FCC, but good luck. And, you never said where you are when "they really blow my hair back when they transmit". Are you a mile away at home or sitting in the parking lot listening?

napjerk

Premium Subscriber
Since they are legally authorized to use the frequency, as @KK6ZTE pointed out, why would you want to do anything to interfere or otherwise affect them? If you can prove they are not using a properly certified radio (your OP says "looks like") or wrong power setting then you can file a complaint with the FCC, but good luck. And, you never said where you are when "they really blow my hair back when they transmit". Are you a mile away at home or sitting in the parking lot listening?

I didn't want to do anything to interfere or affect them, I was asking if it was common/accepted and if there was anything I should do.
I don't care to "report" anyone.

I may not have said it clearly but I am 2 miles away when they key up.

Hey, sorry I said anything at all. carry on.

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber

I'm pretty sure the Chick-fil-a restaurant 2 miles away from my house is using HTs on GMRS to relay orders etc. Isn't this improper commercial use of the band?

They seem to send one worker out to wrangle the drive-thru lines using an iPad and what looks like a cheap/Baofeng HT. They use the HT to relay large/unusual orders ("I need 6 regular sandwiches and 3 vanilla shakes", etc), and when they key up, it sounds like they're standing right behind my chair. They're probably not even using them in reduced power mode (they only need to TX like 40 feet to the kitchen) as they really blow my hair back when they transmit.

Mike
WRFW327

Some businesses have grandfathered licenses for GMRS, but most likely they are just misguided bubble packers. What are you using on receive that "blows your hair back"?

Reactions: RRR

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
i listen to everyone.
it is short lived, until this virus stuff goes away.
lock out that channel or listen for any funny stuff.
i left a fast food line one night when they said between themselves, "we need the bug guy here fast".
information is always useful. i did go back at a later date, it was no big deal.

Chance favors the prepared, SIGINT goes a long way with staying prepared. I also listen to whatever I can.

napjerk

Premium Subscriber
Eh, it's no biggie, I usually lock that channel out when scanning anyway.

As for my receiver, I pick it up here at my home, suburban terrain, ~2sm from transmitter, I hear it thru my Radio Shack Pro-2052 / Tram 1411 on a 20ft mast. I also hear it loud and clear on my cheap chinese HT and my SDR etc.

I've driven through there before and noticed they were using what looked like baofeng (dunno, uv5, uv8) HTs which aren't Part 95 certified, IIRC.
That's the only reason I brought it up. I couldn't care less about them using it... I also pick up the Discount Tire nearby but at like half the apparent transmit power.

n1das

Mike
WRFW327

Business use of FRS is legal as others have pointed out. They are legal on FRS provided they are using the right equipment (FRS radios).

Leave them alone and let 'em be.

romanr

…{stuff deleted}... I also pick up the Discount Tire nearby but at like half the apparent transmit power.

Using FM, the transmit power doesn't really affect the perceived "loudness". The strength of the received signal affects the background noise more than the volume of the received audio.

With FM, it is the transmit deviation that affects the received audio volume, Ignoring background noise level, the tire store that you monitor could be transmitting at 50 watts and the fast food place may be transmitting at 1 watt. If the deviation was the same, your volume would be the same.

n1das

Business use of FRS is legal and provided they are using FRS equipment. I am all for them using radio communications if it helps them get the order right and operate more efficiently. Just get the d@mn order right!

I'm curious what the employees might be saying if they think nobody can hear them because they are using a "privacy code" LOL.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The CFA's near me all use some Midland FRS/GMRS radios and are on FRS 14. At least someone is doing some good with this radio spectrum.
The radios and there system of people placement to get folks thru the drive-thru works very well. and FWIW they've never hosed up my orders.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Funny enough, I went on a trip 2 hours away on Saturday, and we arrived at dinner time, so we grabbed CFA. I was tuned to the local repeater, and started hearing some of the CFA order running. They were using Midland HTs, but it sounded like complete crap. I thought maybe it was because it was FMN, so I switched to narrow band and it didn't improve. Probably because I was 7 feet away from them and the antenna was high on the roof.

Anyways, It was the first time I ever noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.