Commercial fishing -ssb

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainetrunk

Hi guys, I'm going through fun with my new Alinco DJX-!!T, playing with all the wiring crap.. Well, today I went to Portsmouth NH to scan / search channels by the Navy Yard. While I was there, I saw a guy I know with a commercial fishing vessel.. I went down to say hi-- ( I left the Alinco at home, just 2 pro 106's with me.) 1st thing I saw was that 50 foot high antenna. I asked him " you got HF on this boat ? " He points to the Icom. Me being a radio lover, I ran to it and asked if he uses it. He said he was hearing Canadian fishermen last night clear as day. I didnt get the model, but its about 3/4 the size of an old VCR. Point is--- does anyone know what band they use? I forgot to ask.. Thx

SCPD

QRT
MT you have to understand that being on saltwater is probably the best ground plane on the Earth. Signals will jump in while out at sea. And since most marinas are away from major noise sources, there's less RFI there too.

BTW, if you're looking for a decent SWL solution then you might want to consider a marine SSB radio. The only downside is that they may not have some of the extra filtering features that a true SWL receiver provides...

KE7JFF

Marine SSB radios also make great ham radios too...but some require some trickery to go into the ham bands.

Status
Not open for further replies.