Commercial loop antenna recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB2GOM

I am, sadly, not much of a build-it-yourself guy. Recently, I saw some videos that compared loop antennas with wire antennas for HF reception, and it seemed to me the loops had lower noise.

So, how about some recommendations for loop antennas that can be purchased today? I would prefer recommendations from folks who have actually used the products they are recommending.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I use a Wellbrook ALA100LN. Medium Aperture Loop Antenna ALA100LN They call it a "Medium Active Loop", but it's not actually a loop, it's just an amplifier with a power inserter allowing it to be powered remotely over the coax.. You have to build your own loop and connect the amp to it.

I have a vertically mounted 34 foot square loop (8.5 feet per side). it's about 2 feet off the ground. Wellbrook Receiving Loop Yea, it's getting pretty sad... I keep meaning to rebuild it, but hey.. It works, so well, I hate to mess with it. :)

I'm pleased with the performance. Especially with the way it reduces noise. Along with shortwave, I use it for broadcast band and NDB listening.

I also use it for amateur 80 meter work. I yack with fellow old fuds most mornings. My rig has a receive antenna input. I transmit over my 80 meter inverted vee and receive on the loop. (The rig does the switching for me). Signals on the loop are generally around 3 S units weaker than they are on the Vee, but the noise is about 5 units weaker than on the Vee making copy more pleasant.

ILSAPP

Since I'm in europe, is there any real advantage getting the w6lvp vs welbrook?
Also my main interest is aircraft HF

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
These are my loops mfj-1886,w6lvp,wellbrook-ala1530,wellbrook-ala1530ln performance on all is excellent mine are only half a metre of the ground which took a while to find the right spot another is 5 metres high all perform excellent main intrest in hf aircraft.

Regards Lino.

I had an MFJ-1886 and it performed impressively. I think it's the sturdiest of any other's I've seen. If you're planning on mounting outside I think it would hold up well in severe weather.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Since I'm in europe, is there any real advantage getting the w6lvp vs welbrook?
Also my main interest is aircraft HF

I would think that considerations like shipping, customs and VAT might sway you to go to the Wellbrook in your case- I certainly would consider it

Mike

ILSAPP

Thanks for the quick reply.
Do you think that is a better choice going to the MFJ-1886 instead vs Wellbrook for HF aero comms listening?

MDScanFan

I recommend researching some videos on youtube that make comparisons among the loop antennas you have in mind. The most useful ones are when they plot the spectrum and switch among loops. That should give you an idea of the differences, or lack of differences, to be expected for the frequencies of interest. I recall seeing a handful of videos and testimonials on the 1866. There is much more out there for the Wellbrook loops.

I do not own the 1886 but have researched it a bit. I do own a few loops including a W6LVP and a couple Wellbrook loops. If given the choice I would pick a Wellbrook over the MFJ loop. On their website you will see that they have several variants.

One of the pluses of the 1886 loop is that it is available with a T/R switch. That is a consideration if you plan to transmit near the loop.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Do you think that is a better choice going to the MFJ-1886 instead vs Wellbrook for HF aero comms listening?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
With the notable exception of antennas for hams and 27 Mhz CB, antennas aren't generally built for a particular service. A broadbanded HF marine antenna will likely work just fine on Aero, etc.

That being said, the amount of stuff being reported for HF Aero has dropped off a lot in recent years with the migration to satellites and digital modes (some, at least are rather easy to decode). Propagation isn't all that great, yet - although there have been some sporadic signs that the sun might be waking up (and there are those that say the exact opposite- no one really knows for sure).

As the other poster suggested, do some homework. There are other distributors besides Wellbrook, and it doesn't cost you anything to do research.

Mike

Last edited:

ILSAPP

Thank you both MDScanFan and ka3jjz, really appreciate your input.
I'll do some research on these loops to make a wise choice based on my requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.