Commercial Radio for IDPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC9NEG

Is there a way for me to buy a commercial radio for receive-only of IDPS dispatch and special op's channels? I'd be interested in such a "one trick pony" for my feed if there was a legal and proper way to do it.

bdub5

That one guy...
Premium Subscriber
You can buy a radio compatible with the system anytime but getting it programmed will be the challenge. They don't make a habit out of programming receive only radios for the general public.

KC9NEG

I'd be willing to pay for programming of allowed TG's only. Is there anyone at the IDPS radio shop who is know to be friendly to the local amateur/enthusiast radio community that might be a good point of contact? The LEO's who I've corresponded with (mostly through ingunowners.com) all seem supportive of having the feed online. Some even listen when they're not on duty.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Sorry, but only an authorized radio can be on the system. P25's are set up so that the instant an radio is put on it, it affiliates, and if its RID is not in the system's data, it is blocked, or even bricked. So to get an radio actively monitoring in trunking mode, even TX disabled, you will have to have it authorized by the System Admins. Otherwise you have to use it in P25 Conventional with TX disabled, but then you won't be able to filter traffic heard by TG etc... And you can't use it for a feed without that capability. So you will have to go to Indianapolis Department of Public Safety; Communications Division, and personally talk to administration. Good luck on that, as even the press does not have actual radios here.

Last edited by a moderator:

KC9NEG

Sorry, but only an authorized radio can be on the system. P25's are set up so that the instant an radio is put on it, it affiliates, and if its RID is not in the system's data, it is blocked, or even bricked. So to get an radio actively monitoring in trunking mode, even TX disabled, you will have to have it authorized by the System Admins. Otherwise you have to use it in P25 Conventional with TX disabled, but then you won't be able to filter traffic heard by TG etc... And you can't use it for a feed without that capability. So you will have to go to Indianapolis Department of Public Safety; Communications Division, and personally talk to administration. Good luck on that, as even the press does not have actual radios here.

I can see why they'd not do that... every system change would have the press coming back for programming modification. I see tons of what are apparently suitable STX300's for sale for reasonable prices, but I know the programming is the real obstacle here. In the unlikely event anyone has an "in" someday, I'd love to hear about it.

W9NES

I would agree with MILF on his post. Those radios Stx3000'S are on e-bay and if you buy one and try to get IDPSC to program it for you they will run the serial number of the radio to make sure that it is not stolen. IDPSC( AKA MECA) had a case a back in 2011 or 2010 where a person bought such a radio off of e-bay and was going to use it on MECA. after they ran the serial number and found out that the radio had been stolen from a fire department in California or Texas.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Those radios Stx3000'S are on e-bay

I see tons of what are apparently suitable STX300's for sale for reasonable prices

Gentlemen, it's XTS3000 not Stx3000 or STX300.

Yes, you can listen to the system receive only but the process to do so is tricky and one wrong step could result in your radio being bricked, legal troubles or worse yet, some public safety personnel's life being put into danger.

KC9NEG

Gentlemen, it's XTS3000 not Stx3000 or STX300.

Yes, you can listen to the system receive only but the process to do so is tricky and one wrong step could result in your radio being bricked, legal troubles or worse yet, some public safety personnel's life being put into danger.

Of course, XTS3000. I've only looked at dozens of listings on eBay ;) Please forgive my typo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.