Commercial radio that will scan all 97 AAR channels.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
Is there a commercial radio that will scan all 97 of the railroad channels?

I have been using Motorola CDM and M1225 radius radios for some time now, and I love the quality of reception over a regular scanner, but they are restricted to 16 or 24 channels for scanning.

Is there a radio out there with similar performance to a CDM that can scan all 97? A bonus would be one that doesn't require special software to program. I have a good receive site and I'd like to be able to scan all the channels just for fun to see what I can receive.

I don't care if the scan rate is slow. And yes I know about NXDN, I don't feel that will happen on the road channels any time soon, and that is a debate for other threads.

Thanks!

Cameron314

Really any real radio is going to require the correct "special" software to program. While tons of radios will program 97 or more channels, most won't don't allow that many in a scan group. They aren't scanners. That said most areas are only going to have a few active AAR freqs anyway so...

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Be aware that some railroads are using NXDN and others may change in the future.

alabamarailfan

Premium Subscriber
@JoshuaHufford,

@Echo4Thirty is correct. I have the TK-7180 as recommended by a fellow railfan for just this reason. While I haven't gotten the programming completed for it, he verified that it was possible to scan all AAR channels in a single bank. Once I get the programming completed, I will try a test to see how quickly it can scan all channels.

A friend who works for the railroad and has an NX700 did a test for me and it seemed to scan all AAR channels in about 5 - 6 seconds. I am hoping the TK-7180 will be close. For the test, he keyed up his RR issued portable, hit scan on the NX700 and timed how long it took to stop again.

I agree regarding NXDN. I mostly railfan in Alabama, southern Tennessee, and sometimes north Florida and I have only verified one location using NXDN and that was the car shops at NS's Norris Yard in Irondale (Birmingham), AL. I highly doubt road channels will go NXDN any time soon.

Hope this helps! I will try to post more info once I get the programming completed on mine.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
The thing I like is you can set the channel number to the AAR number so when you enable the channel number display, you dont have to waste alpha tag space with the channel number.

This is REALLY handy in the marine band where channel numbers skip around.

n0cb

Premium Subscriber
This. The Icom R30 pretty much blows anything I've used away reception wise for railroads.
Agreed. Also no special software needed to program. Just use the CSV import/export function on the R30.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
While not a commercial radio the Icom IC-R30 will scan all of them and quite fast (200 channels per second) and do NXDN as well if needed.
Yep, I agree.
I use both the IC-R30 and IC-R8600 for scanning the 97 AAR channels. They both work great and are reasonably fast.

The only con is neither model will switch to NXDN mode automatically if a NXDN signal is detected when monitoring in analog mode.
I had to create a duplicate bank set to the NXDN mode in the event they ever start using NXDN here. I've only heard a few tests in NXDN on the AAR channels and that was it.

Nasby

Personally I couldn’t see the need to scan all those channels. Even in the busiest of locations there are only about 20-30 channels in use at any given time. And that’s a stretch.

A properly programmed radio for a certain area will give better results ( no missed traffic etc).
With zones, etc there’s plenty of flexibility for setting up a scan group for many places.

Deeptow

Premium Subscriber
I use a Yaesu FT-1900 transceiver set up with an RT Systems programmer. You can set up 199 memories in a single scan bank, and it has 10 scan banks. It scans quite quickly. Used in my vehicle with a 1/4 wave 2 meter antenna mag mount. I have about 15 rail channels programmed in and have no problem copying what I need to hear. The FT-1900 is out of production. Their scan bank system does not seem to be available on later Yaesu transceivers.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
I use a Yaesu FT-1900 transceiver set up with an RT Systems programmer. You can set up 199 memories in a single scan bank, and it has 10 scan banks. It scans quite quickly. Used in my vehicle with a 1/4 wave 2 meter antenna mag mount. I have about 15 rail channels programmed in and have no problem copying what I need to hear. The FT-1900 is out of production. Their scan bank system does not seem to be available on later Yaesu transceivers.
Its from the same vintage, but the FT-8800 will do it as well. I have a hypermemory that takes me directly to AAR and all 97 channels are in a scan list as well. Works great!

RRR

Premium Subscriber
"All 97" Do you scan 1 - 6 in the USA?