Commercial Radios That Do P25 Trunking Without Needing A System Key

Status
Not open for further replies.

12dbsinad

And, what "dragons" are we talking about here? What is this warning?

The warning he is giving you is "it's probably NOT a good idea".

More than likely he is giving you this warning based off the types of questions you ask here, and he is actually looking out for your best interests. You do NOT want to play with this if you know just enough to be dangerous, that's for sure.

bharvey2

It's a very technician/depot oriented kit of software that will allow the truly uninformed to transmute their multi-thousand dollar radio into a very expensive inert object with less value than a brick. :lol:

That's funny. You've a clear mastery of euphemisms!

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
It's a very technician/depot oriented kit of software that will allow the truly uninformed to transmute their multi-thousand dollar radio into a very expensive inert object with less value than a brick. :lol:

Well said.

Let me add that Depot and the System Key Generator program are Motorola software that shouldn't be in the public's hands.

Any discussion on how to use Depot or the System Key Generator program on RadioReference is forbidden.

CanesFan95

What about Harris / M/A-COM radios for Phase II P25 trunking? I thought I read a thread somewhere that there's an older software version that lets you program them without a system key, but I can't find the thread. True or false?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
There are several models of Harris radio that will do Phase II no problem. However I believe you need as a minimum RPM10 to program the radio (RPM11 and beyond use Harris AAC (Advanced Access Control.. aka System Key)). Unlike Motorola, Harris RPM requires licensing per computer, which is why you don't see copies of it floating around all over the place like you do Moto CPS. Also expect to pay in the vicinity of $1000 for a radio with P25 trunking & Phase II enabled.

All that being said, they are excellent radios but definitely on the very expensive end for a hobbyist.

CanesFan95

What does "RPM" stand for and how and where do we get it? So what Harris radio models do P25 trunking Phase 2 700/800 MHz? And how do you make sure the radio will have those features enabled if you're buying on eBay? Thanks.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
RPM = Radio Personality Manager. The typical way to get it would be thru a Harris dealer. As I mentioned it uses a licensing scheme that is pretty successful in keeping it from being spread around, however given the number of people that seem to be using RPM10 lately I suspect something is out there. And no, I won't help anyone find it.

If you are interested in Harris gear head over to the Harris forum and read up. Everything you need to know is there... Lots of Phase 2 discussion. When shopping for a radio you need to know which features are enabled via the feature string. That is all detailed in the Harris forum as well.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
My Relm KNG2-P800 arrived last week, spent the weekend setting it up and man thats a great radio.
The audio on it does sound great. I did some comparisons with my APX7000 and on Phase 1 systems the audio is better on the KNG2, on phase 2 its a bit closer. But the KNG2 wins in overall volume. OH and yes it does RX only trunking so thats a huge plus. It does have some draw backs, it will only scan 16 channels, it will only scan with the selected P25 system, so no multisystem scan. But with my G4 handy the two compliment each other.
It does not do analog trunking so im still holding on to my APX but in a few years when no body around me uses analog ill sell off my APX and buy a second KNG2.
I see people complaining about how expensive scanners and other items are. I also see people complaining about how they cant pick up this or reception sucks..
Its an investment in your hobby. I got my APX7000 8 years ago, paid $2500 for it, its still going strong. You need to look at it like that. New Phase 1 and 2 systems will be around for 7-12 years probably, so invest in a good solid piece of equipment for your hobby that will make you happy. If you dont see that as an option you may need to find a new hobby.
I plan on making my KNG2 my primary radio and my Unication G4 my secondary.

CanesFan95

Everything I'm seeing online, that Relm KNG2-P800 is like almost $3,000!!! And that JUST for the radio body only. They nickle and dime you for every other little thing. The antenna, battery charger, cable, software, etc. all cost extra a la carte. Where did you buy yours at? There's gotta be a more affordable way.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Everything I'm seeing online, that Relm KNG2-P800 is like almost $3,000!!! And that JUST for the radio body only. They nickle and dime you for every other little thing. The antenna, battery charger, cable, software, etc. all cost extra a la carte. Where did you buy yours at? There's gotta be a more affordable way.
Go spec out a APX6000. Motorola is no different, they nickle and dime you for everything as well, plus you get the added benifit of paying Motorola to beta test their crummy firmware updates.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider

Purchased mine direct from Relm with everything i need,
Radio, stubby antenna, battery, charger, P25 Phase 1 Trunking, P25 Phase 2, Bluetooth, Programming Cable, Programming software.
Delivered was just shy of $2700. They had a sale going on that saved me about $500.

Motorola does the same thing. You buy a base radio, then pay to add the P25 stuff and add a programming cable and add a software subscription. Both units have some pluses and minuses but ultimately its the RX only trunking feature that i needed. Plus its about 1000 to 1500 cheaper then Motorola. But after being a Moto fan boy for 15 years i dont like where they are headed and dont like the lack of quality control with their products and software/firmware. So im making a change to use other manufacturers. Im glad i did.

cpetraglia

I love my KNG P800 so much, I just ordered a mobile version (M800). No charger needed, no mike needed, no battery, no programming cable, just a USB mini. Same software so no added expense for that. Has external speaker connection, just need a 12V PS. It is a few hundred more than the portable. I will never go back to scanners in there current state. !!

Status
Not open for further replies.