• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Commercial VHF PA…

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
Hey everyone, I’m looking for a good mobile oriented PA that covers at least 150-174MHz. I’m looking for something that’ll take an input of about a watt, and output something between five and ten watts, so nothing massive.

Thanks for reading!

-B

n1ofj

Premium Subscriber
VHF amplifiers have narrow windows. Don't expect efficiency from a 24 MHz window. Plus, wideband expectations from a mobile antenna will be a problem.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
TPL had a series of wide band amps.
Thanks! I found one on eBay for about $60. It’s exactly what I need! 1W in, 10W out 136-174MHz.

@n1ofj ya, the ham stuff especially is very narrow, but my antennas for commercial are all 136-174 and most of them are also 380-520 and 762-870! I need those for my Harris XG100Ms.

This particular PA will be for my Pyramid SVR-250 setup on one of the 100Ms. It’ll crossband to the trunking network or inband repeat to my Tait TB9100.

@prcguy Thanks again!!!

-B

prcguy

Just make sure its the wide band version that will cove all that without tuning. Many TPL amps are stamped 136-174 but are tuned for maybe 5Mhz of band width and if you move frequency you need to retune. I forget what series the wide band was called.

Thanks! I found one on eBay for about $60. It’s exactly what I need! 1W in, 10W out 136-174MHz.

@n1ofj ya, the ham stuff especially is very narrow, but my antennas for commercial are all 136-174 and most of them are also 380-520 and 762-870! I need those for my Harris XG100Ms.

This particular PA will be for my Pyramid SVR-250 setup on one of the 100Ms. It’ll crossband to the trunking network or inband repeat to my Tait TB9100.

@prcguy Thanks again!!!

-B

Last edited:

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
Just make sure its the wide band version that will cove all that without tuning. Many TPL amps are stamped 136-174 but are tuned for maybe 5Mhz of band width and if you move frequency you need to retune. I forget what series the wide band was called.
Thanks! The manual I found says 136-175 with no tuning so I thin I’m good! This seems like a smokin deal! The guy has a quantity available too!!

Regards,
Brian

Edit: these are NIB too.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
I already know what the final response will be. Engineering and money talks.
I’ll admit I really lucked out this time! I’m sure the price new was quite a bit more than $60, but dang, NIB for $62 shipped is almost as good as free! This project is gonna rock now. The 2W that the pyramid offers felt weak to me and now I can run the pyramid at 50% and still get 10W out of the PA… I like low stress!

-B