BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Commish

Status
Not open for further replies.

JobabeBob1981

Premium Subscriber
Tried everything to eliminate garble P25 phase 2 Orange County Ny System .Is there a filter avaliable? Any help greatly appreciated

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Tried everything to eliminate garble P25 phase 2 Orange County Ny System .Is there a filter avaliable? Any help greatly appreciated

Welcome to Radio Reference!

What scanner are you using? A Uniden SDS100 or SDS200 is probably in your future!

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Like iMonitor said, you're probably gonna have to move up. If the problem is simulcast, you may not have much choice.

JobabeBob1981

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the replies.
I went with the Trunktracker V because of the cost of the SDS 100/ SDS 200, Guess I should of bit the bullet.
As far as the firmware I had the scanner programmed by Scannermaster,can you give me a short education on how to download the firmware guess worth a try?

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
You can also try lowering your antenna while still maintaining 3 bars signal or more. Less towers is more, but still get signal from a nearby one.

Search found

Ive played with before, sometimes 8 is what most people find works, for me it works but in the end the auto setting works best here.

Last edited:

ilgrant

I would also play with the thresholds as shown in the video. Also try less antenna and the Attenuator. If you are using the antenna that came with the radio you could try moving the radio closer to a window or another part of the room.

Bob1955

I would also play with the thresholds as shown in the video. Also try less antenna and the Attenuator. If you are using the antenna that came with the radio you could try moving the radio closer to a window or another part of the room.
Ilgrant-I also own the Bearcat BCD-996P2 and I works great on the supplied telescoping antenna however, I’m thinking of purchasing the Comet BNC WX-100RX and this is a metal telescoping antenna in black and is collapsed at 8” and extends up to 40” inches. The Antenna Farm carries it/Amazon.com and also on eBay new for $36.95 total. I’m going to order it today. It must be better then a Uniden's stock telescoping antenna. It’s also good for all handhelds using a BNC. It’s also available with a SMA connector too.
Stay safe.

Last edited:

Bob1955

You can also try lowering your antenna while still maintaining 3 bars signal or more. Less towers is more, but still get signal from a nearby one.

Search found

Ive played with before, sometimes 8 is what most people find works, for me it works but in the end the auto setting works best here.
Very nice YouTube presentation!
Have a great Summer.

Bob1955

Very nice YouTube presentation!
Have a great Summer.
By the way, I'm NOT getting "commission" referring people to Bearcat Warehouse if that's what your referring to in "COMMISH". FYI
They are just the BEST source to purchase everything from.

JobabeBob1981

Premium Subscriber
took my new scanner for a ride in my pick up truck yesterday and every thing worked great Full bars and i could pretty much understand the transmissions!!! Why? Maybe use the truncktracker V in my vehicle to replace my old uniden scanner and purchase SDS-200 for home?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
A little on simulcast. That is where a radio system has several sites/transmitters that are all on the same frequency. This is done to ensure signal saturation. In the old days, it was one big transmitter with lots of power. Nowadays this is done with several transmitters with lower power.

Your scanner could be receiving transmissions from two or more sites at the same time. They are not perfectly in sync, unfortunately due to varying distances. The scanner has trouble decoding these incoming signals in a sensible way. So what you hear is either garble or nothing at all.

The user radios (police, fire, etc.) which are more expensive radios, deal with this predicament a lot better than the scanners. The Uniden SDS series uses a whole different type of receiving method that deals with simulcast much better.

My belief is that the earliest line of Uniden scanners, the x96, are the worst when it comes to simulcast. The x36 are slightly, very slightly, better.

Why do things improve as you move around? Well some of the time you are close enough to a transmitter such that it overpowers all the others and your scanner likes that. Why is it the worst at home? Congratulations, you hit the jackpot by living equidistant (in radio terms) between multiple sites. You could move a football field away and have completely different results as simulcast is that finicky.

Which scanner to use where? All depends on where you do your most listening along with what is most important to hear.

Bob1955

A little on simulcast. That is where a radio system has several sites/transmitters that are all on the same frequency. This is done to ensure signal saturation. In the old days, it was one big transmitter with lots of power. Nowadays this is done with several transmitters with lower power.

Your scanner could be receiving transmissions from two or more sites at the same time. They are not perfectly in sync, unfortunately due to varying distances. The scanner has trouble decoding these incoming signals in a sensible way. So what you hear is either garble or nothing at all.

The user radios (police, fire, etc.) which are more expensive radios, deal with this predicament a lot better than the scanners. The Uniden SDS series uses a whole different type of receiving method that deals with simulcast much better.

My belief is that the earliest line of Uniden scanners, the x96, are the worst when it comes to simulcast. The x36 are slightly, very slightly, better.

Why do things improve as you move around? Well some of the time you are close enough to a transmitter such that it overpowers all the others and your scanner likes that. Why is it the worst at home? Congratulations, you hit the jackpot by living equidistant (in radio terms) between multiple sites. You could move a football field away and have completely different results as simulcast is that finicky.

Which scanner to use where? All depends on where you do your most listening along with what is most important to hear.
ofd8001-You are a great writer and I get it 100%. I guess that "I am lucky being able to listen to New Rochelle Police on 155.130/NAC 100 simulcast. The Bearcat BCD-996P2 is at my apartment and "sometimes" by my window. I'm in the lowest level of a (5) story apartment building facing Southwest (2018 building) and the closest New Rochelle Police tower is by Wimot Road by the Hutchinson River Parkway which is Northeast of me -2 miles tops.
I'm wondering if instead of using the supplied Uniden telescoping antenna, if I were to purchase a Comet BNC-W100RX that covers 25-1,300Mhz in sections which is a black swivel metal telescoping antenna that extends from 8-40" long. do you think this is WORTH $36.95 from The Antenna Farm and will pick up any better? It is from The Antenna Farm on eBay and also Amazon.com carries it too. Your thoughts?
Stay safe.
Thanks again sir. Stay safe.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
As counterintuitive as it sounds, a worse antenna can be better for simulcast problems. Better antennas might bring in more signal when you need less. Best simulcast decode I ever got is when I had a bad coax in my truck which effectively took out the antenna. All the non simulcast stuff went away.

JobabeBob1981

Premium Subscriber
I am in Orange County
EDAC= Mt Beacon and Schunemunck Towers for me
Is P25 using same Towers? Please respond i need the education Thanks all

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I am in Orange County
EDAC= Mt Beacon and Schunemunck Towers for me
Is P25 using same Towers? Please respond i need the education Thanks all
The P25 system uses some of the same sites as EDACS, along with a lot of new sites. There are two simulcast cells: North and South. The North sites are the black icons on this map, the South are the red icons.

Status
Not open for further replies.