Commonwealth of Kentucky (800 MHz)

Status
Not open for further replies.

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
Part of this system is on line in a test program in Pulaski and Laurel Counties http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48049 with the rest reportedly on line by the end of the year. Some of the assigned freqs are in conflict with other systems either on line or planned for rebanding (Lexington's new TRS comes to mind) so it might face a difficult future as all the conflicts are fixed..... it is a good idea.

ShawnCowden

I'm afraid scanners will be useless in Kentucky if this kywins system gets going. I guess it also uses voice as well as instant msg. to talk to other agencies.

ShawnCowden

network that allows officers to communicate via radio and instant messages from even the most remote areas in rural Kentucky is voice going to be analog or what ? BTW no sites are even listed for the london somerset area in the rr database

Last edited:

scnnr

ShawnCowden said:
network that allows officers to communicate via radio and instant messages from even the most remote areas in rural Kentucky is voice going to be analog or what ? BTW no sites are even listed for the london somerset area in the rr database
Shawn, I think you are maybe getting a little panicky there my friend. It looks like you have the same type of sytem that we use here in Manitoba.
http://radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=537

Certainly agencies can use MDT'S, Paging, email etc. but there is still lots of monitoring to get all over the province here. The only digital we have is the RCMP ( pretty much the same as State Police) They are always gabbing but use their computers to send out personal and private information. You will quite often here them mention to one another that " I just sent you emai."

Then neat thing about Omni system is that you will here agencies all over the state. Quite often I will hear action in Thompson Manitoba from sitting here at my computer desk in Winnipeg. Thompson is almost 500 miles North of Winnipeg. That usually means one of the members of say the RCMP are down here in Winnipeg for some reason or another and the radio is affiliating with a tower in the city here.

All rural EMS / Fire are on the system and in analog / voice using paging also for call outs.

So unless the plan is radically different than our set up I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Randy

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
I do know that the KSP and other Commonwealth agencies have been up here in Michigan, examining our MPSCS statewide system. Currently, the Metrosafe project is being constructed in the Louisville area, which will probably serve as a blueprint for the rest of the state to follow. Moreover, I would look for future development of a statewide 700/800 MHz Omni-Link TRS, much like what have here in Michigan, especially since Tennessee to the south is leaning heavily in that direction. That being said, states that are planning to implement statewide interoperable trunking systems, are for the most part, taking into consideration what equipment their neighbors are using, or are planning to use, once the ink dries on the contract.

They key item to how soon this will become a reality across the Commonwealth of Kentucky is money! These radio systems take a lot of capital to construct, and there are two avenues they can follow:

1. Build the system on their own with available state funds, and obtain federal grant money.
  2. Let Motorola or M/A-COM build the system, and everyone across the Commonwealth can lease airtime, much like what is taking place in Illinois.
Of the two proposals, the first is really better in the long-run, since the state has control over the entire system. This is why Colorado, Delaware, Indiana, Michigan, and West Virginia, to name a few, decided it would be better to own the system at the state level, and allow local users to come on board for a fee, rather than paying the vendor higher subscription fees.

Either way, this will mean a lot of people down the road are going to need new scanners that can copy P25 modulation.

73's

Ron

Last edited:

BigEd1314

Premium Subscriber
Shawn,
yes the emergency calls go out over the radio, and MDT isn't heavily used yet in london, laurel county. They still have some troubles with it and still run alot of stuff over the radio still.

SCPD

QRT
I've been jumping the border between Williamsburg, KY, and Onieda, TN for four days now and havn't heard a peep out of any of the KY state freqs listed in the RR database.
Seen a KY trooper car, even took a pix. Had about six antennas on it.

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
Hi Wyandotte:
Which Freqs do you have plugged in for Kentucky? You should hear traffic on the various KSP Post 11 freqs listed, especially the Pulaski and Laurel County Transmitters.... You should also hear a lot of traffic on the Mc Creary and Whitley County County and city freqs.... If you have the info for the KYWINS System plugged in you aren't going to hear a lot.... what kind of scanner are you using? You will need a digiatal capable scanner to monitor most of the KSP stuff....

SCPD

QRT
Whitley and McCreary Counties

unitcharlie said:
Hi Wyandotte:
Which Freqs do you have plugged in for Kentucky? You should hear traffic on the various KSP Post 11 freqs listed, especially the Pulaski and Laurel County Transmitters.... You should also hear a lot of traffic on the Mc Creary and Whitley County County and city freqs.... If you have the info for the KYWINS System plugged in you aren't going to hear a lot.... what kind of scanner are you using? You will need a digiatal capable scanner to monitor most of the KSP stuff....

I'm using a PRO-96, just the rubber duckie, and had it on MO mode for all the KSP stuff.
I heard plenty of local and county stuff in McCreary and Whitley. Just didn't hear a peep out of any of the KSP freqs in the RR database. Only had Whitey, McCreary, Scott and Campbell counties programmed in. I stayed close to the state line the whole time.

I think McCreary County Sheriff needs to run a new coax for the base. By the signal, and how close I was, I think that coax is pretty lossy and has been up there a while. May be the original coax from the first base install.

Of course, if every municipality changed the coax on the base every 10 years, Motorola may not sell half the new radio systems they do now. The coax goes lossy, and the Moto salesman blames it on old "obsolete" radios.

But I digress. Had good monitoring the whole time. Saw the KSP car I talked about in a parade in "downtown" Whitley City on Saturday, October 7th.

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
You should have been able to hear more KSP than it seems you did... they are really active along I-75--and the Ky Motor Vehicle Enforcement folks should have been on there as well... if you were listening to the 800 meg system you won't hear much at all.... that system is a ghost right now except for the publicly announced Pulaski-Laurel MDT "experiment".... You are correct about the Mc Creary S.O. coax.... sometimes it sounds like their mic is really an old Dixie cup.....

Status
Not open for further replies.