Communicating To Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZstreet

Hello all,
My first post here and very very new HAM radio and it's uses. Just now getting into the hobby. I recently purchased a cheap Chinese HT and like it a lot so far. Programming is fine and listening to lots of stuff. Also, just began studying for my technician license. I do have what's probably a premature question but hope you guys can help out. I took my new radio to work (which currently uses Motorola handhelds with a repeater). I looked up our company's frequency on the FCC database and am able to hear everything but I am unable to transmit to anyone. I know there are many settings that could affect this but wonder if would be possible for you to let me know what needs to be done. I currently have a company issued Motorola on my desk that I routinely communicate with the rest of the people on my site. When I key up the mic on the new Chinese HT the red light flashes on my Motorola but I can't 'hear' anything coming in from the Chinese HT.

Do you know what kinda of settings I would need to look at this to make it work?

Thanks,
EZ

Golay

Tone it in

Hello all,
My first post here and very very new HAM radio and it's uses. Just now getting into the hobby. I recently purchased a cheap Chinese HT and like it a lot so far. Programming is fine and listening to lots of stuff. Also, just began studying for my technician license. I do have what's probably a premature question but hope you guys can help out. I took my new radio to work (which currently uses Motorola handhelds with a repeater). I looked up our company's frequency on the FCC database and am able to hear everything but I am unable to transmit to anyone. I know there are many settings that could affect this but wonder if would be possible for you to let me know what needs to be done. I currently have a company issued Motorola on my desk that I routinely communicate with the rest of the people on my site. When I key up the mic on the new Chinese HT the red light flashes on my Motorola but I can't 'hear' anything coming in from the Chinese HT.

Do you know what kinda of settings I would need to look at this to make it work?

Thanks,
EZ

While studying for the tech, take a look on how PL tones work to communicate thru a repeater. And how repeaters have offset frequencies.
I'm figuring since you can hear comms at where you work, you should be able to communicate with your work radios by programming in the correct transmit PL or DPL they use. And by programming the proper "split" into your radio. Good luck getting your ticket.

EZstreet

Would help to know the HT you bought.
And as Golay posted, you need to find out what the CTCSS or DCS is.
What is the frequency that your company use for communications?
With some of the CCRs, you can find the CTCSS or DCS with functions in the HT.

It was a cheap Baofeng (UV-5R)... and the frequencies are 462.225 and 467.225.

Thanks,
EZ

Golay

Splits

It was a cheap Baofeng (UV-5R)... and the frequencies are 462.225 and 467.225.

Thanks,
EZ

So your offset is the standard 5 MHz split for 440 ham and UHF business/public service/etc.
The transmit frequency is 5 MHz higher.
You need to ascertain what the tone is, or you won't be able to bring up the work repeater.
Don't think the UV-5R will find that out for you. I really have no suggestions on how you could do that.
Possibly you have or can borrow a scanner that can detect and tell you the tone.

EZstreet

So your offset is the standard 5 MHz split for 440 ham and UHF business/public service/etc.
The transmit frequency is 5 MHz higher.
You need to ascertain what the tone is, or you won't be able to bring up the work repeater.
Don't think the UV-5R will find that out for you. I really have no suggestions on how you could do that.
Possibly you have or can borrow a scanner that can detect and tell you the tone.

I think I may have found something:

UV5R TONE SCAN - Miklor

I will try this tomorrow when I get to work.

Thanks again,
EZ

EZstreet

Just so you know that radio is not FCC approved for your company's radio band. Your company could receive a hefty fine.

I got it figured out. I used the HT to scan for incoming CTCSS then locked in on that. I do understand completely that the HT is not FCC approved would only use in an emergency from home. I do live close enough for Coms to work. I know that doesn't make it right but it would be seldom if ever used to Tx.

Thanks again all,
EZ

Status
Not open for further replies.