Communication Corps

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB3JUV

Hey Guys,

I know some of the guys on here are hams so I wanted to let you and everybody else know about a new program we have here in the state called Communication Corps. I won't bore you with information, but if you are interested in serving the community using radio, you may be interested in Communication Corps.

Link: http://www.commcorpsde.org/

Justin Kates
DEMA

elk2370bruce

Right now, the only group that does not play nice with others is the American Red Cross who disdains the use of amateur radio or other voluntary communications groups. There are a number of formal agreements, as well as decades of voluntary cooperation between RACES, ARES, SATERN, MARS, and CAP (and for Coast Guard Auxiliary as well). While I have not seen Communications Corps in any of my Citizen Corps program activities, anything that gets the message out there and draws dedicated volunteers is a good thing.

KB3JUV

elk2370bruce said:
Right now, the only group that does not play nice with others is the American Red Cross who disdains the use of amateur radio or other voluntary communications groups. There are a number of formal agreements, as well as decades of voluntary cooperation between RACES, ARES, SATERN, MARS, and CAP (and for Coast Guard Auxiliary as well). While I have not seen Communications Corps in any of my Citizen Corps program activities, anything that gets the message out there and draws dedicated volunteers is a good thing.

In Delaware we have a new Director of Emergency Services who is very interested in Amateur Radio. Having one focal point for all amateur radio support makes it easier for agencies that want our support to get in contact with us. I'm really looking forward to our partnership with Red Cross.

In regards to the Citizen Corps stuff, you are right, so far it is Delaware only. We hope other councils across the country take this initiative into their own states to increase interoperability and information sharing across the board!

elk2370bruce

So long as the "initiative" is inclusive of all groups, this can be a good thing. Care must be taken, however, not to leave any possible group out of the recruitment effort. Feathers in ALL voluntary action groups get ruffled too easily and an accidental omission can be very costly.

KB3JUV

You are right about that, we've been trying to get everyone who has a radio involved with Communication Corps, even the Coast Guard Auxiliary as you mentioned. Unfortunately they haven't replied to any of my emails...

Status
Not open for further replies.