Communications Tower Collapses On Roof Of Courthouse:

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb4mdz

from WTSB Radio, 1090 AM:; WTSB Radio :: 1090 AM

Communications Tower Collapses On Roof Of Courthouse

Johnston County officials are still trying to determine what caused a 60-foot communications tower on top of the Johnston County Courthouse Annex in Downtown Smithfield to collapse. The tower, built in 1987, fell Friday afternoon.

Jason Barbour, Johnston County E911 Director said the communications center was in the process of upgrading equipment on the tower to switch to a new radio system when it fell. “We are very glad that no one was injured as we had several individuals on the roof when it fell,” Barbour told WTSB News.

Officials said 911 services were never affected since the switch over to equipment on the tower had not been made.

Barbour said officials are looking at whether an anchor may have failed, causing the collapse. The tower, valued at an estimated $50,000, should be covered by insurance.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber

Johnston County officials are still trying to determine what caused a 60-foot communications tower on top of the Johnston County Courthouse Annex in Downtown Smithfield to collapse. The tower, built in 1987, fell Friday afternoon.

Jason Barbour, Johnston County E911 Director said the communications center was in the process of upgrading equipment on the tower to switch to a new radio system when it fell. “We are very glad that no one was injured as we had several individuals on the roof when it fell,” Barbour told WTSB News.

Officials said 911 services were never affected since the switch over to equipment on the tower had not been made.

Barbour said officials are looking at whether an anchor may have failed, causing the collapse. The tower, valued at an estimated $50,000, should be covered by insurance.

OOOOPS. Glad no one was injured.

1090AM??? That sounds vaguely familiar :cool:
That station at one time years ago was the infamous WBZB 1090 AM.
Apparently they let some crazy traffic reporter dude be a dj at WBZB for awhile. Wonder what ever became of him?
Marshall KE4ZNR

jim202

Keep us posted. Most towers will last way beyond 25 years of life. I say that with some reservation with just how well the tower was maintained. There is no information of exactly what happened. How the tower ended up in the down position, can tell a good part of the story. How much was on the tower at the time for antenna and coax loading.

With people working on the roof, I would ask just what they were doing for work there. Was a new antenna being installed and was a mechanical winch being used at the time? The tower crew may be the inside picture to just went on. However, it would surprise me if they talk at all about what happened.

kb4mdz

"some crazy traffic reporter dude" is heavily & unnecessarily redundant. Spot on, but redundant.

OOOOPS. Glad no one was injured.

1090AM??? That sounds vaguely familiar :cool:
That station at one time years ago was the infamous WBZB 1090 AM.
Apparently they let some crazy traffic reporter dude be a dj at WBZB for awhile. Wonder what ever became of him?
Marshall KE4ZNR

climberkid

KM4FFB
You wold collapse too if you had to deal with EDACS Provoice day
in and day out :cool::lol:

(Sorry I could not resist)
Marshall KE4ZNR

I understand that Marshall. I'm in Goldsboro and I can't stand going through Johnston Co. maybe its just me but I struggle with the setup of all the systems in the county and Smithfield.

On topic, seems like that tower wasn't meant for much more than a few well balanced antennas.

-Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.