Communications Tower Sabotaged

xmo

"On Saturday March 4, 2023, the Furnas County Sheriff’s Office received a report that the communications tower south of Oxford, owned by Strayer Communications, had been toppled and completely destroyed. Preliminary findings indicated intentional damage to a guide wire anchor that resulted in complete structural failure of the tower causing it to fall to the east."

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Somehow I can't believe there's more to this story that is presented here.

Not looking into it at this point but let's see how the thread goes.😉.

xmo

It seems to me to be a rather unusual event. I don't recall past instances of vandals destroying communications towers.

Perhaps other members are aware of previous incidents.

N6JPA

A Ham Radio Operator With too much frequency.
It seems to me to be a rather unusual event. I don't recall past instances of vandals destroying communications towers.

Back in the early 2000's we had a schizophrenic in the Portland, Oregon area burning antenna towers and radio stations because the signals were putting messages in his head.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

It's happened locally around here twice in the last 10 years or so. Vandalism, those thinking it's evil 5G controlling their mind, people trying to steal copper for recycling. All it takes is one person with the right tools. Usually the sites are remote, so no one sees anything.

nd5y

Maybe not in your area but it happens more often than you think.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
It would be nice if the courts actually handed out real punishments instead of catch and release. My guess is, the person who did it is a frequent flier with the courts. It's promising that the FBI might "consider" investigating. When word gets out these folks will serve serious jail time, maybe they will reconsider. But, I am not holding my breath on that one.
Until that happens, crimes like this and many other crimes we deal with will continue because pretty much all 50 states have given up on handing out real prison sentences.
CCTV technology has become much more affordable in the past 10 years. Even for remote sites. It's absurd in 2023 to now have a tower site that doesn't have CCTV. Cloud based storage, smart object detection, affordable cellular data plans can make it happen just about anywhere.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
How do you not get seriously injured when cutting a guy wire? I'd think it would crack like a whip with all that tension.
Most people cutting guy wires aren't smart enough to really think about that.

That said, this is becoming an all to common occurence these days.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Are you talking about voice to skull technology?

Old amalgam fillings would sometimes act like a non-linear joint and start receiving AM stations if you were in close proximity to a transmitter. Pretty rare, but reports of it happening. I've read that it would drive people nuts. Usually the filling would get removed and replaced with something non-metallic.

BrhatWeed

Premium Subscriber
In all my time doing tower site management I have never encountered this type of destruction, the worst was a coax theft where someone climbed up and cut several runs of hardline and another was damage to the tower light photo control by some kids. I was shot at once while changing out the top light but nothing as serious as the full destruction of a guyed tower. Clearly those responsible have little to no real idea of the damage ripples they have caused but as mikewazowski pointed out this is becoming an all to common occurence. I don't know what their point is and I really don't care, destruction of others property is not acceptable. Now a crew has to risk their lives to rebuild the tower.