Communications tower to be erected in Vigo County

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
http://www.wthitv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8526494&nav=menu593_2

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - A new communications tower is beginning to take shape in Vigo County.

The first section of what will be a 300-foot tower is now standing just west of the Vigo County Jail.

The tower is being paid for with county 911 funds as well as a federal grant given to some of the county's township fire departments.

When completed it will be part of the Hoosier Safe-T network, connecting Vigo County with communities around the state in times of emergencies.

It will also hold other radio equipment for the county that had been placed at other locations.

Report by News 10 Staff, WTHI

usswood

Could they be on their way to ditching Provoice?

I can sure hope!

If the Police Chief is smart he will...And He is a very nice and Smart guy, I think he will think long and hard once the tower is up and the Sheriff's Dept is Happy with the coverage.

I would hope that All Terre Haute Emergency Personnel would switch to the system, only makes sense, a least for THPD, THF, and ISUPD. All other services could stay and use the EDACS system

usswood

New Tower has been erected with 5 or 6 different antennas and what appeared to be a Wi-Fi antenna also. They also took down the old City Police/Fire Antenna atop of City Hall. Several Hams were sectioning it off as I left from downtown

SCPD

QRT
New Radio System

Does that mean Terre Haute is going to switch over to Hoosier SAFE-T System ? Does that mean Vigo County is getting NEW freqs. and 800mhz freqs . ?

usswood

Does that mean Terre Haute is going to switch over to Hoosier SAFE-T System ? Does that mean Vigo County is getting NEW freqs. and 800mhz freqs . ?

I would say No to the first question and yes to the second question...but when the new tower is active, I would assume that THPD will look at there current situation again.

On a side not about the old tower taken down...the city donated it to The Wabash Valley Amateur Radio Association, Inc.
(http://www.w9uuu.org/bulletins.html) for there use. I will find out what the club is going to do with it

drdiesel1

Heard on 155.565 that they are in the process of migrating all communications to the new tower. Vigo Sheriffs were on VHF "mode".

We can only hope City has plans to ditch Provoice!

Status
Not open for further replies.