Compact high-gain wideband antenna for BCD436HP work well in urban area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M00ke

Hi RR,

About half a year back, picked up the BCD436HP and really love its functions, but I've noticed the factory antenna is kinda bad. So I got a few different antennas, two of which were from AECreative and quickly realize how terrible their quality. The high-gain telescopic antenna from AECreative lasted 2 months before stopped working, as soon as I smell burns from that antenna I discarded it. Few days ago I ordered a flexible AECreative antenna from Amazon, it works but just receiving slightly better than factory one.

I live in Toronto, Ontario and in dense urban area with a lot of buildings and reception is depended certain locations. Also note, I've been into CB for at least a year before picking up scanner hobby. I usually love to take long walk around the city for trunk and conventional/analog discovery.

What type of high-gain and wideband antennas best for the BCD436HP but also useful for handheld/walking? I don't have price preference because IMO I think cheap antennas don't work that well. Thank you for your suggestions! Stay well!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Pick any one of the three. They're pretty much mutually exclusive.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
I have fairly good luck in downtown Toronto with the Remtronix 800mhz antenna, usually scanning Toronto Emergency Services. Depending on where I am, I pickup FleetNet decently with it. However it is worth noting that with how dense Toronto is, some spots just suck, deep downtown, at street level. It feels weird coming from the GTA into the city and everything being hit and miss suddenly.

Like others said though, I don't think "wideband", "handheld" and "good" are quite something you'll be able to find.

Last edited:

a417

which is the more important feature, compactness, bandwidth or high gain?

As @jonwienke mentioned, you're looking for a unicorn if you expect a compact, highgain, wideband antenna to 1) exist, and 2) be any good.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The high-gain telescopic antenna from AECreative lasted 2 months before stopped working, as soon as I smell burns from that antenna I discarded it.

An antenna would never burn on a scanner. It must have been something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.