Comparing BCD436HP vs. SDS100 vs. BCD325P2 for GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Wanting a solution for the car (limited) space so going with handheld.

GPS connecting (Auto Location Based Scanning) - Agency selection (ex: Police / DOT). So this may knock out the BCD352P2.

So as I drive through a city want it to auto change to that city and scan say Police without me having to touch the radio...except to lockout a bad channel or two.

Is it really needed to go to expense of SDS100 for something like this? Already have a Unication G4 for my home scanning. Really just want something with little cables to auto scan.

Does BCD346HP use different cable to Uniden GPS Antenna than SDS100 and BCD352P2 use?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
HH would be the BCD436HP or SDS100 for full US/Canada database in the scanner.

If you are driving a limited geography, you could program BCD325P2 with just the areas you are interested in (but that is still quite a chore, even for a relatively small geography).

SDS100/BCD325P2 require an additional Cable (BC-UTGC https://www.uniden.com/shop/communication/gps-usb-cable/). Cable for the BCD436HP is in the box with the Uniden BC-GPSK.

trp2525

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Thanks @UpMan - appreciate the info.

I can save money with a BCD436HP - but know the SDS100 would be nicer when traveling through cities like Ft. Worth / Dallas which use Phase I/II with Simulcast.

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
For your purposes, I would recommend the BCD436HP or the SDS100 over the BCD325P2 both because of the ease of programming and for the ability to select service types.

Just set your range to zero, turn on the service types you want to hear, and it will add frequencies as you get in range of them while running the full database.

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
The range adds additional distance to the programmed location for the systems/ channels in the database. If say XYZ PD has a range of 10 miles programmed in the database and your range is set to 0, you would hear them in that 10mile radius. Is you have the range set to 5, it would be 15mile radius.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Sorry why 0 on range? Thought your would at least want 5.
That's not the way range works. The actual range used by the scanner is the SUM of the range set on the scanner,plus the range (noted on the database) for that particular system, site, or department (instead of "department", the setting in the325P2 or other non-database scanner would be set in the group).

So, if your scanner's range is set at zero, but the range of a system you're approaching while driving is twenty miles, the 20 mile mark is when it would be enabled. If you also had the scanner set at twenty, the system would come to life at the forty mile mark.

See this for a more complete description: How it Works: Location, Location, Location

Also, remember that if you are creating the Favorites List (or programming file for a 325P2 or 996P2), you would need to either import the system (325/996), or append from the main database (x36HP series, HP-2, or SDS100) so that the location information is present. If you create the list, or file, manually, then you'd also have to manually populate the location fields. Otherwise, your "location" for a system without the coordinates loaded is treated as zero degrees for both latitude and longitude, which is off the west coast of Africa.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Ok ....

So I went ahead and ordered a SDS-100 and GPS Puck and Adapter Cable.

Now confused as ever...on my HP-II - I could just plug in the GPS and set the range and set a service type and ready to go....

It should be the same on the SDS-100 once I plug in a GPS antenna right?

Sorry got confused after this last post.

Basically just want to monitor law enforcement when driving and don't want the range to go too far out.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Location control works identically on the HP-2 and SDS100 (and BCDx36HP). Most agree that scanner range setting to 0 is best in most cases when traveling.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
FYI: I used the puck on the dash with the SDS100 on a recent trip from GA to MI and back. It worked flawlessly. I had an inexpensive Tram magnetic antenna and ran the audio through the AUX input on the radio.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Perfect !!

Thanks Everyone...looking forward to my next trip with the SDS-100.

Very excited to try it out.

phyberoptics

Premium Subscriber
FYI you can save $50 by purchasing the Uniden BC-GPSK Serial GPS Receiver from Bearcat Warehouse compared to buying it directly from Uniden.

Bearcat Warehouse $69.90: https://www.bearcatwarehouse.com/accessories/uniden-bc-gpsk-serial-gps-receiver

Uniden $119.99: https://www.uniden.com/?s=GPS+Receiver&post_type=product&type_aws=true

Well damn. Bearcat Warehouse doesn’t ship to Canada, Radioworld doesn’t stock the extra cable for the SDS100.

Oh good. And Uniden is out of stock on the BC-UTGC. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Well damn. Bearcat Warehouse doesn’t ship to Canada, Radioworld doesn’t stock the extra cable for the SDS100.

Oh good. And Uniden is out of stock on the BC-UTGC. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Vendor Webtron has the cable in stock (indicating 12 left) on eBay and also on Amazon. Might contact him & see if he'll ship to Canada.

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
That's not the way range works. The actual range used by the scanner is the SUM of the range set on the scanner,plus the range (noted on the database) for that particular system, site, or department (instead of "department", the setting in the325P2 or other non-database scanner would be set in the group).

So, if your scanner's range is set at zero, but the range of a system you're approaching while driving is twenty miles, the 20 mile mark is when it would be enabled. If you also had the scanner set at twenty, the system would come to life at the forty mile mark.

See this for a more complete description: How it Works: Location, Location, Location

Also, remember that if you are creating the Favorites List (or programming file for a 325P2 or 996P2), you would need to either import the system (325/996), or append from the main database (x36HP series, HP-2, or SDS100) so that the location information is present. If you create the list, or file, manually, then you'd also have to manually populate the location fields. Otherwise, your "location" for a system without the coordinates loaded is treated as zero degrees for both latitude and longitude, which is off the west coast of Africa.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

trp2525

...And Uniden is out of stock on the BC-UTGC...

That's unfortunate because Uniden's $14.99 price for the BC-UTGC GPS cable for the SDS100 and BCD325P2 is about the lowest price you will find anywhere: https://www.uniden.com/?s=GPS+Cable&post_type=product&type_aws=true

Universal Radio also has the BC-UTGC GPS cable for $14.95 (Universal Order #4271) and FYI it says on their website that they will ship to Canada: https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanners/6100.html

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
FYI you can save $50 by purchasing the Uniden BC-GPSK Serial GPS Receiver from Bearcat Warehouse compared to buying it directly from Uniden.

Bearcat Warehouse $69.90: https://www.bearcatwarehouse.com/accessories/uniden-bc-gpsk-serial-gps-receiver

Uniden $119.99: https://www.uniden.com/?s=GPS+Receiver&post_type=product&type_aws=true

You can save even more money if you get the GPS from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BR...corr&keywords=GlobalSat+BR-355S4+GPS+Receiver

I bought for $29, it is currently $34.

Note that this item doesn't ship with any additional conversion cables. So the GPS ships with a non-standard mini-din plug. If you are using this with the SDS100, it is no big deal. The mini-din plugs into the Uniden cable and everything works as expected. I have verified that it works.

If you want to use the GPS with another Uniden radio, you'll need a converter cable that converts the mini-din into a standard DB-9. If you can find this cable for less than $30 (and you probably could), then the Amazon is a better deal. But unlike the Uniden packaging, it won't work with other Uniden radios right out of the box.

And just to close the loop, this GPS does output a serial data signal to the scanner. The custom Uniden cable routes this serial signal into a pin inside the SDS's mini USB jack. If you search the Uniden forum, you'll find the thread where someone documents which pin is in use. I preferred to have a turnkey solution from Uniden, since I figured their cable would be more robust that what I could fabricate on my own...

Just found this thread:
https://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/376880-sds100-gps-data-interface.html

Thanks to user BigWonton (in third post) for pointing me to the article that describes the pinout for the SDS100 miniUSB. Thread has useful information, so posted that instead of reference...

Last edited:

scosgt

Just get a Home Patrol. In many cars you can put in right into the dash cluster in front of you. Not installed, just standing there.

noaim

Premium Subscriber
I own both the 436hp and sds100

I prefer the sds100 not just for extra features but also it required a smaller cable setup if you have usb power in your car either through the power connector or directly in the car

The cable setup is cleaner with the sds100

Between the 436hp and the sds100
The sds100 has a better screen when in the car.

The performance of gps to me works pretty much the same between the two

Another one up for the sds100 is it has a better connector for the gps/computer/charger as the one in the 436 is of cheaper quality

Status
Not open for further replies.