Complete Noob here trying to set up a Whistler WS1040

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ploop

I bought it and am trying to listen to frequencies from northern wisconsin. I don't know what to do also i'm curious if I could have it pick up multiple frequencies at one time.

Ploop

Sorry for the late reply, but it says I can preprogram over 500 different channels into it. Yet I see that there is only 30 quick save slots. How would i put in the other 470?

Swipesy

Sorry for the late reply, but it says I can preprogram over 500 different channels into it. Yet I see that there is only 30 quick save slots. How would i put in the other 470?

The issue you are having is that you do not have a grasp of the radio's structure and design. The radio has no channels. You may program up to 1952 objects. Objects are defined as frequncies, talkgroups, etc. You can program conventional frequencies, Trunked system frequencies (limit 32 frequencies to a system. if more than 32 you have to set the system up again) and Trunged Talkgroups. The max of all these is 1,952. So you program your conventional frequencies and point them to one of the 20 allowable ScanLists. You program a trunked systems control and alternate frequencies and then add as many talkgroups you want and point to a ScanList but again once all of these add up to 1,952 objects you have maxed out the scanner. You also have the ability to create multiple V-folders.

I suggest you take the manual and read through it thourgly to grasp the concept. It becomes easy once you understand it. Also, having owned the PSR-500 (same as your WS-1040) I will tell you programming is a lot easier if you use WIN500, PSREdit500 or ArC500. They all have 30 day unrestricted free trial periods.

Hope this helps.

TES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have used Win500 for a long time and recommend it.

TES

How can you beat 41 years of experience for advice, lol (Swipesy, Edmscan 14 years Tes 13 years)?

Actually I'd recommend either of the Made in U.S.A. products—PSREdit or Win500—over any other choices. I'm certain that their authors have more knowledge of the internal workings of this scanner!

Swipesy

I agree. In fact I use both WINN500 and PSREdit depending on what I am doing with the scanner. For logging hit counts I use WIN500. For Updating and changes I use PSREdit (because I like the UI better).

SCPD

QRT
Actually I'd recommend either of the Made in U.S.A. products—PSREdit or Win500—over any other choices. I'm certain that their authors have more knowledge of the internal workings of this scanner!

Agreed .. knowing the history of the authors. Both are well known and trusted developers in the forums here.

Status
Not open for further replies.