Completed Listening Post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI5FKE

Premium Subscriber
Good afternoon!

I first posted photos of my listening post back in 2012, and I’ve posted a few updates in early 2013 as well as an update a few weeks ago when I received the desk mount. Well, five years later, I’m posting another update! My listening post is complete (for now; unless one of these receivers goes left).

SpectrumForce Desk Mount (from top to bottom)​
1. RadioShack Pro-197 – monitoring Beaumont Fire & Rescue, Beaumont PD, Lamar University PD & Security, Beaumont ISD PD, the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office, rural fire departments (Bevil Oaks, Labelle-Fannett, Water District 10, Jeff. Co. ESD 3), The TX Dept. of Public Safety, ham radio frequencies, and the system’s interoperability talkgroups. The majority of the agencies monitored are on the Southeast Texas Regional Radio System. This scanner is also capable of monitoring the NEW P25 version of this system.

2. RadioShack Pro-2096 – monitoring the majority of what the Pro-197 with the exception of the new P25 system.

3. Uniden BC785D - (**recently acquired**) Mainly monitoring conventional, analog frequencies (ham radio, Beaumont Fire & Rescue (back-up), and rural fire depts.) and the Texas DPS on P25 Digital. I had to alter with the steps to properly program the DPS frequencies into this scanner.

On top of Desk Mount​
4. Uniden BC355C – monitoring analog conventional frequencies (Beaumont Fire & Rescue (back-up), rural fire depts, and ham radio)

To left of BC355C​
5. RadioShack Pro-106 (the handheld version of the 197) – monitors the exact same as the Pro-197

I'm looking into options of a good antenna to connect the BC355C and the BC785D to along with a splitter.

Well, that's the update! I wish all of your and your families a very happy and safe Thanksgiving!

Attachments

• imageedit_2_3442405771.jpg
    imageedit_2_3442405771.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,368
  • imageedit_4_4492319338.jpg
    imageedit_4_4492319338.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,368
  • imageedit_6_9335956208.jpg
    imageedit_6_9335956208.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,333

K4EET

Chaplain
What a nice complement of scanners and a nice, aesthetic layout. I need to acquire more scanners like you have so I don't have to scan everything on one scanner. I especially like that rack for mounting multiple scanners. Makes for a real clean layout. Kudos sir! :)

Cheers! Dave

KI5FKE

Premium Subscriber
What a nice complement of scanners and a nice, aesthetic layout. I need to acquire more scanners like you have so I don't have to scan everything on one scanner. I especially like that rack for mounting multiple scanners. Makes for a real clean layout. Kudos sir! :)

Cheers! Dave

Thank you, sir! I've been wanted to get a rack for them and finally got one a few weeks ago. I love the layout and organization as well!

I'm done adding scanners; I'm thinking about replacing my BC355C with one similar to one of the three I have in the rack.

Happy Thanksgiving!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Looks great but do you find the mini-blinds interfere with signal strength? I have the same blinds in my office, but they're on the other side of the room. They don't appear to be causing a problem, but I've considered replacing them with wood blinds for that reason.

KI5FKE

Premium Subscriber
Looks great but do you find the mini-blinds interfere with signal strength? I have the same blinds in my office, but they're on the other side of the room. They don't appear to be causing a problem, but I've considered replacing them with wood blinds for that reason.

Honestly, I never thought about that. I have an external antenna (Nomad WPN97) mounted on the wall to the right of the blinds. This one is connected to my Pro-197 and Pro-2096 with a coupler. The BC355C has the antenna that came with it, and the BC785D has an antenna that's mounted on the windows with suction cups. There's really no interference with what I monitor. I am looking into getting a better antenna and a coupler for the BC355C and the BC785D.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Honestly, I never thought about that. I have an external antenna (Nomad WPN97) mounted on the wall to the right of the blinds. This one is connected to my Pro-197 and Pro-2096 with a coupler. The BC355C has the antenna that came with it, and the BC785D has an antenna that's mounted on the windows with suction cups. There's really no interference with what I monitor. I am looking into getting a better antenna and a coupler for the BC355C and the BC785D.

You have me beat! I have no outdoor antennas at all. All antennas are in my office, but it hasn't cause a problem that I know of, but I wonder what I might be missing at times.

KI5FKE

Premium Subscriber
You have me beat! I have no outdoor antennas at all. All antennas are in my office, but it hasn't cause a problem that I know of, but I wonder what I might be missing at times.

Well, all of my antennas are inside; I have no antennas on the outside, either. The trunked system I monitor has great reception; the DPS on my BC785D has 6 bars for signal strength. Maybe I stay close to the transmitters. There are tall antennas in the areas where I reside.

K4EET

Chaplain
Mr. Dave (K4EET),

If you're interested in looking at the desktop racks, I purchased mine from ScannerMaster.

Thank you sir. Once Uniden comes out with the mobile/base version of the SDS100, I will get me one of those. I am also going to be looking for two non-digital newer scanners to monitor some systems that my Uniden BCD536HP is tied up monitoring. My two Bearcat BC800XLT scanners will not fit in that rack and have lost receiver sensitivity.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dave K4EET

KI5FKE

Premium Subscriber
UPDATE!!!

Good evening!

It looks like I'll be adding another radio soon! I applied for my GMRS license on yesterday afternoon, and I was granted a call sign (WRCN926) twenty-six minutes after midnight.

I'll be adding a Motorola HT1250 configured with the GMRS frequencies and repeaters in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.