Completely Banned for the Greater Good

Status
Not open for further replies.

mciupa

Database Admin
As a suggestion, I think that the infraction point system listing should be included in the Rules and Etiquette post.

While catching up on some thread reading, I was dismayed to see that there are some members with the banned designation
( I saw three former member names that I wasn't aware were banned) :eek:

I can't reconcile why someone would let their ego get the better of them and wind up with an account termination.:(
I wonder if they are Tavern posts that got them in trouble? If so, I'm glad that I collapsed that forum so I'm not enticed to get drawn into that tornado.

I was beginning to think that the moderators were becoming invisible as I don't recall them having to intercede as much as in the past.
Maybe things are done by PM now. Sadly, they had to do what is necessary.

Just treat everyone the same way you would like to be treated and we should all have a good experience. :)

bezking

Actually, they may not have been permanently banned. When the infraction system sees that the user has at least a predetermined number of points, it bans them for a small period of time. However, for some reason, even if they are temp banned, the infraction system gives the user that title. If you want to PM me the users you are curious about, I can check it out for you.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
As a suggestion, I think that the infraction point system listing should be included in the Rules and Etiquette post.

While catching up on some thread reading, I was dismayed to see that there are some members with the banned designation
( I saw three former member names that I wasn't aware were banned) :eek:

I can't reconcile why someone would let their ego get the better of them and wind up with an account termination.:(
I wonder if they are Tavern posts that got them in trouble? If so, I'm glad that I collapsed that forum so I'm not enticed to get drawn into that tornado.

I was beginning to think that the moderators were becoming invisible as I don't recall them having to intercede as much as in the past.
Maybe things are done by PM now. Sadly, they had to do what is necessary.

Just treat everyone the same way you would like to be treated and we should all have a good experience. :)

Hehe, good post. The infraction system list is listed under Wayne's thread
Rules and Guidelines under infractions.

Yes, unfortunetly there are certain members these days that are getting that title under there name. Members have got to understand that all the mods here do not like doing this, actually we hate it.

We try in the beginning to PM the user to make him be aware that things are going a little sour and that they need to take some care in the forums.

No, the tavern is not why they got the slap on wrist:), well maybe:D

We are invisible, we try and hide as much as possible:lol:

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Actually, they may not have been permanently banned. When the infraction system sees that the user has at least a predetermined number of points, it bans them for a small period of time. However, for some reason, even if they are temp banned, the infraction system gives the user that title. If you want to PM me the users you are curious about, I can check it out for you.

Don't give them too much info Ben:wink::D

bezking

I know, I know... I would never violate the SMCE (secret moderator code of ethics)... Just a response as to whether it was a temp for permanent ban.

:lol::lol::lol:

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
I know, I know... I would never violate the SMCE (secret moderator code of ethics)... Just a response as to whether it was a temp for permanent ban.

:lol::lol::lol:

LOL, yes thats right.

Here is a great paragraph from Wayne's post:

Lastly, YOU as a community make these forums, the staff and its rules do not. These rules are in place because not everyone can contribute to the forums in a positive manner. When everyone can work in a respectable and harmonious nature you will not see any action take place. Please respect the moderation staff for the job they do. They volunteer their time; the stress of performing administrative action is not what they want. We do not choose moderators because of how well they police others. All staff, including DB Admin, are held to a higher standard with regard to how they conduct themselves on the forums and are not above the rules.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
The complete infraction system is outlined in the Wiki:

Infraction System - The RadioReference Wiki

If someone is temporarily banned for infractions, we will change their user title from completely banned to "temp ban". This is typically 7 days, but can be longer. If you see someone "completely banned for the greater good", they are just that, completely banned forever. It takes a lot to receive this and aside from spammers, and a few extreme circumstances, one is given several chances to behave like an adult in the forums before a complete ban is issued.

Believe me when I say someone who is completely banned knew they were in jeopardy of permanently loosing their account and decided to not heed to the warnings of such and choose to continue their disruptive behavior. We do not take completely banning lightly.

Last edited:

ltjweiss

I have read through the Infraction System and noticed something called "Thread disruption via trolling or flaming"? I'm still kind of new to whole vBulletin® or bulletin posting and I'm still learning the terminology. I searched through other posts and could not find it.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
And I'm guessing some just have the that user title because it sounds neat? :)

I can think of one person off the top of my head that currently has that as their user title but they appear to be posting regularly [and it is someone I wouldn't suspect would have ever been banned].

And I think I've seen at least one other posting with that user title.

So I'm not sure that a person having that user title necessarily means that they are banned.

M

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
So I'm not sure that a person having that user title necessarily means that they are banned.
Oh, it does mean that. I'm not sure what you've seen but PM with the members and I'll look. Once someone's title shows "Banned" in any shape or form they cannot post, PM or use the email system.

Status
Not open for further replies.