Composite Tower Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockag41

Premium Subscriber
Is it possible to have one map that shows all of the tower locations for a regional trunked system?

I will be travelling to Houston and looked at the TxWARN system that many agencies in and around Houston use. The database listed the tower locations and provided a map for each tower. Since I am not familar with the Houston area, I had to look at each tower to see if I was going to be in the area that the tower covered. There are a lot of towers.

I was just thinking for a regional trunking system that uses multiple towers, it would be nice to have one map that showed all of the towers.

Thanks
Jeff

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
On the "System Frequencies" portion of the main page of the trunked system, "RR Locations" is on the extreme right side of the header. I think this is what you want. :)

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
My bad - I forgot about that bit. "RR Locations" is where the signal is supposedly best heard, not necessarily where the tower is.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
In most cases, "RR Locations" is going to be near the geographic center of the geopolitical entity (in the case of cities, for example) or at or near the location of the tower (for a non-simulcast tower in a multisite system) or the geographic center of the area of coverage (for a set of simulcast towers in a multisite system).

Last edited:

rockag41

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to both of you. I think the RR Locations will work fine. I'm not familiar with all the little suburbs. I'm just happy knowing what side of town the towers are on.

mmtstc

Ø
Premium Subscriber
this is something that we were talking about in the Wiki Forum...

There are a couple articles out there with guides to scanning for people travelling through a certain area...

Although not applicable, Minnesota has a wiki article with a list of major roads and they counties that it goes through with each county linked in order... then if you follow those links, each county (I'm about 80% Done) has a list of the towers on Minnesota's Statewide radio system in that county and there is also a list (for about 10% of counties so far) of the best talkgroups to monitor and any useful VHF or UHF information...

I am hopeful this idea gets some momentum and people start putting together information for their own areas wiki article for those of us who do a bit of travelling and need some insight on the area we are going to visit... nothing against the pottawamie county iowa jail, but i really have no interest in listening to it...

Status
Not open for further replies.