Compromised e-mail addresses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyteOwl

Premium Subscriber
I just received a piece of SPAM e-mail sent to the e-mail address I used when I signed up on the forums. This address is unique to my registering on these forums and has not been used anywhere else. (No my profile is not set to receive e-mail from any but admins.)

The site admin might want to look into this.as it would seem somewhere along the line at least one and possibly other user e-mail addresses have been compromised.

slash

I can confirm this as well - I have a unique e-mail address for RR only and i've been hit with spam starting yesterday.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I've received reports from a few folks this week that their uniquely registered email addresses have received SPAM. So it does appear that spammers might have crawled the forums exploiting a vulnerability that allowed them to harvest email addresses.

Since the reports we have applied the very latest security patch fixes to the forums and are actively monitoring with detailed tracing and logging what is happening across the site.

Thanks

kayi4cle

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Lindsay! I also received a couple spams yesterday. Thanks for taking prompt action on this, and thank you so much for everything else you do for our community.

protias

Premium Subscriber
Accounts may have been compromised as well. Mine was locked out when I tried logging in around noon CST.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
The login issue was due to some tracing that I put in place that caused a bug in the login system. That has been fixed.

We haven't received any reports of accounts being compromised, and all forums password are encrypted and salted.

mibzzer15

I have been getting a lot more spam lately, while my email I use is NOT unique to these forums, it could still be a possibility from here....

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
That would explain the random pieces of spam I got to my @radioreference.com email address yesterday, after never haven gotten spam to that address previously. Glad to see LB is right on top of things as always!

al95

Is this the reason I received the login failed and had to wait 15 before trying to login to RR. This is the email I received from RR:

Someone has tried to log into your account on The RadioReference.com Forums with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next 15 minutes.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
al95,

As indicated above, this issue was due to some tracing that I put in place that caused a bug in the login system for a very short period of time (about 30 minutes this afternoon CST). That was since resolved.

Thanks,

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
You rock, Lindsay! :cool:

Many thanks for having one of the greatest websites on the internet.

Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.