Computer Based Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
Just curious, since I am more a computer person and do scanning as a hobby, I was wondering if there are any scanning technologies out there that are more computer centric?

Not so much a normal scanner with a USB/Serial cable, but more a base station type of setup that is much more robust and integrated. Perhaps advanced programming, interface that is not a clone of the front of the scanner appliance, ability to program macros, better integration of audio capture/enhancement and noise reduction...etc..

The only reason I ask is that it seems (to me) a little bit antiquated in this day and age to be RS232 controlling devices that have very low grade displays and too many button combinations and menu systems. I use several audio applications to enhance, compress, reduce noise, etc...

Just thinking out loud (in type) here... I honestly can say I never even searched it out...It's quite possible there are solutions out there that I am unaware of and since I am very new to scanning, I don't doubt it. Just thought I'd throw it out there as there seems like there could be a much more robust interface to this very interesting hobby other than the simple ARC and homegrown RS232 based programming frontends with analog audio capture through sound card...

Thanks for reading and please tell me to take a hike if I am way off base here. LOL
:D

eecame

# IBM PC compatible computer with 386 processor or above
# DOS 3.3 or Windows 3.1 or better (including Windows 95)
# 640kB RAM (4MB recommended for Windows use)
# Vacant slot for 16-bit interface card
# Speaker or headphones with standard 3.5mm plug

is this product still viable? Seems a bit outdated to me.

I love the concept though.

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
Interesting.. I notice there is a 1500-30 model that does not have the cell band gaps and such.. Wonder if there is much useful to hear there? Also, I notice you cannot order that one online.. Are there specific requirements to get it?

Also, does anyone have any experience or know of any decent reviews on this product.
EDIT: Google is a wonderful thing.. :)

For $499, it might be a worthwhile gadget for me.. LOL

Last edited:

dkostrey

andrewccm said:
Interesting.. I notice there is a 1500-30 model that does not have the cell band gaps and such.. Wonder if there is much useful to hear there? Also, I notice you cannot order that one online.. Are there specific requirements to get it?

Same as with any scanner - be outside the U.S. or be a government agency.

fineshot1

You could look into picking up a used OptoElectronics OptoCom pc controlled receiver,
or perhaps a used RS Pro2042/OptoElectronics OS535 or Pro2006/OS456 and the Probe7 scanning software.

JerryM1951

What kind of SW is available? APCO 25 compatible? Any other OS's supported by anyone? This is related to Icom products.

Not a MS fan.

Jerry

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber
The PCR2500 has the option for a APCO-25 card. Further more a great program called TRUNKPCR will turn the PCR radio into a powerfull trunk tracking radio with excellent results.I use TRUNKPCR with my PCR1000 and I get information from that program that others dont provide.Its as easy as a mouse click.
The last time I check WINRADIO line of radios dont have the trunk support for Motorola,LTR and EDACS just MPT.

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
Has the 867Mhz problem been fixed in the 2500 via firmware or is there still a need to cut a diode? The reason I ask is that many of the local PD channels that I listen to are in the 867 range and I read that the 1500/2500 cutoff just prior to that (unless you get an unblocked model from overseas). BTW: These are not P25 systems that I refer to...Arlington, TX PD among a couple of others in the area.

Thanks again for the info.

JerryM1951

kd5dga said:
The PCR2500 has the option for a APCO-25 card. Further more a great program called TRUNKPCR will turn the PCR radio into a powerfull trunk tracking radio with excellent results.I use TRUNKPCR with my PCR1000 and I get information from that program that others dont provide.Its as easy as a mouse click.
The last time I check WINRADIO line of radios dont have the trunk support for Motorola,LTR and EDACS just MPT.

Great! Now, all that remains is to find the Linux, or OS X SW to run these. I can run MS on my MAC, but I hate the idea.

Jerry

AlabamaRS said:
Hehe, I started on a TI 999/4a. It rocked lol

Me too, I still have mine, there is an TI99/4a emulator for the PC. I still hook up mine every so often just for fun. I still play Parsec, Alpiner and other games with the emulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.