computer for storm spoting(mobile operations)

Status
Not open for further replies.

twjr80

Feed Provider
Believe it or not, I'm actually using a cheap e-machines laptop. Don't need a high priced laptop to view radar, be on spotter network, and possibly stream video. My laptop gets the job done and that's all I need.

At the moment, it is a tri-boot system with Windows XP, 7, and Linux. Working on adding OS X to it as well.

K9WG

I purchased a Lenovo last summer and have been very pleased with it, It even survived falling off the kitchen counter (in a padded bag). I get 3-4 hours on a charge.

XTS3000

My CF-29 fell off my roof and landed on a piece of wood, never skipped a beat. That happened 3 years ago, and still working as new.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I have a Dell Latitude D620 that does the job, but the screen washes out in bright sunlight. This particular model was one of the last Dell laptops available with an RS-232 serial port so I don't have to mess with USB-to-serial converters in order to connect the computer to whatever APRS device I'm using.

LtDoc

In have a 'Gateway' in the car and a 'Dell' in the house. Both work satisfactorily. I've found that it isn't the computer so much as the peripherals (and programming) hooked to it that make a big difference. Of course, computer 'speed' and memory play a big part in that too.
- 'Doc

wv8mat

Premium Subscriber
I am using my iPad 2 , but I am also just starting out, still trying to find good apps

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
My Acer aspire 5253 laptop does just fine! ;)

n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.