Computer help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

vs1988

I haven't been on a for a couple of days because my computer crashed. My computer data processing class requires us to install a program on our computer. I installed it, and it caused my keyboard to lock up. I took it down to the IT dept., where they told me many other kids had similar problems (one person's computer wouldn't even turn on), and the only way they've been able to salvage anybody's computer was to completely reinstall Windows XP. I left it there over night, but they said it would take longer than a week to do since they were severely backed up, so I took my laptop back and reinstalled XP myself.

However, here's where the problems start:

After I got XP back up and running, I had nothing on the desktop except for the Recycle Bin. I don't have the drivers/utilities disc from Dell either. I don't have any sound from my speakers except for a beep when I click certain things, and I couldn't get on the internet. The first thing I did was install antivirus, and then the drivers for ethernet/wireless connection. I installed the wireless connection driver last night, and it got me online for all of ten minutes before going down. I got the ethernet driver today and am back on for now.

What drivers do I need? Basically, I need everything that the computer came with when I first got it. What drivers/utilities do I need to download from Dell and Microsoft?

Thanks a lot

Vince
Edit/Delete Message

rayveedub

right click on my computer and then on properties, then pull up the hardware tab. then open device manager. this should list all you hardware. you need drivers for any device with a exclamation mark near its name.

ImTheWeasel

Goto the support section of Dell's website and locate your laptops model #.

Then once you've done that youll be presented with a listing of all downloadable drivers and any software utilities you will need to get your laptops hardware properly installed.

Hope this helps.

random

vs1988 said:
My computer data processing class requires us to install a program on our computer. I installed it, and it caused my keyboard to lock up. I took it down to the IT dept., where they told me many other kids had similar problems (one person's computer wouldn't even turn on), and the only way they've been able to salvage anybody's computer was to completely reinstall Windows XP.
What software was that? Somebody sure screwed up big time :(

...my laptop back and reinstalled XP myself.
Every Dell PC I've ever owned has come with a Dell Reinstallation CD. That CD will restore your operating system as well as all the proper drivers for your Dell PC. There is usually another CD included that only contains the device drivers, diagnostic programs and other utilities.

Did you get any CDs with your PC? If not, you'll need to follow ImTheWeasel's advice in the previous reply.

random

Hey, ImTheWeasle, I used your name in my response to vs1988, and my spelling checker gives Imbecile as a suggestion to your name :D

You might need to write a letter to IEspell...

wesct

vs1988 said:
I haven't been on a for a couple of days because my computer crashed. My computer data processing class requires us to install a program on our computer. I installed it, and it caused my keyboard to lock up. I took it down to the IT dept., where they told me many other kids had similar problems (one person's computer wouldn't even turn on), and the only way they've been able to salvage anybody's computer was to completely reinstall Windows XP. I left it there over night, but they said it would take longer than a week to do since they were severely backed up, so I took my laptop back and reinstalled XP myself.

However, here's where the problems start:

After I got XP back up and running, I had nothing on the desktop except for the Recycle Bin. I don't have the drivers/utilities disc from Dell either. I don't have any sound from my speakers except for a beep when I click certain things, and I couldn't get on the internet. The first thing I did was install antivirus, and then the drivers for ethernet/wireless connection. I installed the wireless connection driver last night, and it got me online for all of ten minutes before going down. I got the ethernet driver today and am back on for now.

What drivers do I need? Basically, I need everything that the computer came with when I first got it. What drivers/utilities do I need to download from Dell and Microsoft?

Thanks a lot

Vince
Edit/Delete Message
try going to: www.pronetworks.org for any help you might need.

wesct

okccsi

random said:
What software was that? Somebody sure screwed up big time :(

Every Dell PC I've ever owned has come with a Dell Reinstallation CD. That CD will restore your operating system as well as all the proper drivers for your Dell PC. There is usually another CD included that only contains the device drivers, diagnostic programs and other utilities.

Did you get any CDs with your PC? If not, you'll need to follow ImTheWeasel's advice in the previous reply.

They sure as hell don't ship laptops with the restore cd's anymore. Someone else told me that the pc's don't get'em either. They are putting the restore stuff on the HD or making you go online.

OKC CSI

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
You did choose to format the hard drive prior to install of XP right?

I don't know if your aware, but when you do reinstall XP there won't be any icons on the desktop. You need to go to start and right click 'My documents', 'My computer' and select 'Show on desktop'

You should have audio because XP will load a generic driver for it. I wonder if your BIOS is messed up! Just what does this program take a hold of? Ask IT.

LarryN

South Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
My Inspiron recently crashed and I lost the HD. I had to beg Dell to ship the driver CD's with the new HD. I did find out that the newer Dells require you to load the drivers in a certian order. I spent several hours on the phone with a Dell rep getting my laptop back up. Thank God I have bought the three year extended protection. What is the model of your laptop? If it is an Ispirion I may be able to help.

MIKETECH

If you're able to get online, follow this link: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen

From here put in your service tag# and it will populate the correct drivers for your specific laptop.

Then do as rayveedub wrote
right click on my computer and then on properties, then pull up the hardware tab. then open device manager. this should list all you hardware. you need drivers for any device with a exclamation mark near its name.
That should help you identify any hardware that windows didn't find default drivers for.

Also, don't forget to run Windows update afterwords.

random

okccsi said:
They sure as hell don't ship laptops with the restore cd's anymore. Someone else told me that the pc's don't get'em either. They are putting the restore stuff on the HD or making you go online.
You are correct about there being a hidden partition on the HD with system restore data.

However, when you order a Dell PC, there is a check box you can select to have them include the free system restore CD. If you want the MS Windows CD too, then they will charge about $10 extra.

I know this for a fact because I order about 6 Dell PCs each year.

poltergeisty

LarryN said:
My Inspiron recently crashed and I lost the HD. I had to beg Dell to ship the driver CD's with the new HD. I did find out that the newer Dells require you to load the drivers in a certian order. I spent several hours on the phone with a Dell rep getting my laptop back up. Thank God I have bought the three year extended protection. What is the model of your laptop? If it is an Ispirion I may be able to help.
What's so hard about going to Dell.com and downloading your drivers?

I never had to install drivers and for that matter a "certain order." Unless of course you have to reinstall the OS, than yes you would have to reinstall the drivers. A particular order is common sense, It's a computer thing.

BTW~How can you lose a hard drive?

Last edited:

random

poltergeisty said:
What's so hard about going to Dell.com and downloading your drivers?
A couple of months ago, I ordered a new battery from Dell for one of my Latitudes.

Without my asking, when the battery arrived there was also a BIOS upgrade CD in the package. Can't get much easier than that :lol:

poltergeisty

random said:
A couple of months ago, I ordered a new battery from Dell for one of my Latitudes.

Without my asking, when the battery arrived there was also a BIOS upgrade CD in the package. Can't get much easier than that :lol:
Well that was nice of them. :)

Was it a different model battery? Boy, when it comes to BIOS flashing, I have no finger nails left. :lol:

LarryN

South Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Lost HD's

Sorry Polter,
My HD crashed. I lost most of the data on it. I have not been able to recover any information from it yet. BTW I have actually lost HD's in the past. That had more to do with the mess on my desktop and in my den (grin). When I said lost in my earlier post I guess that I should have said crashed or died. Sorry for the confusion.

As for the offer of helping him with the disks, I believe that he said that he could not get on line with his laptop. The Dell people walked me through fixing my wireless drivers first then we went step by step through the rest of the install process. I did infact have to reinstall the OS and Windows XP did not have all the drivers that I needed. I have reinstalled OS's (3.0, 3.1, 95, 94, ME, XP) a million times before I never had as much trouble as I had with my newest Dell.

Listen I consider myself fairly computer savy. All I wanted to do was help the guy out. VS1988 the offer still stands. If it will help contact me and I'll get you copies of the drivers from me.

vs1988

LarryN, thank you for the offer. I called Dell Tech Support, and they walked me through the process of downloading the drivers from their website. Apparently I had only downloaded the wireless driver, but not the ethernet driver. After downloading the ethernet driver and plugging the cable in, I got online and downloaded the proper drivers according to the windows device manager. Hopefully this should be the end of the problems with the computer for now.

But thanks a lot for the offer, and thanks everybody for all the advice and help.

Vince

Status
Not open for further replies.