Computer power supply question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC0QNB

I tried to listen to my short wave radio last night, ended up listing to a stream of the program I want to listen to because the noise was unbearable. After some sleuthing I found after I shut down my computer the noise was still there. I turned off the main power switch for the computer, the noise was gone. In the future I will want to do some HF digital stuff, well with the noisy power supply I can see that is not going to happen.
Here is my question can anyone on here recommend a cost effective clean ATX power supply, so noise will not be a problem?
BTW the shortwave radio was on an outside antenna and the noise was still there.

Shortwavewave

Im not sure what type computer you are using, but a cost efective fix for a laptop with a external floor box power supply is cover it with a few layers of aluminum foil, sounds funny but it works. And add some RF chokes(ferrite core type) like the ones you get from radio shack.

As for a desktop power supply, I cant recomend a specfic one, BUT something you can try is the rf choke, use it on the actual AC cord and the DC cords inside the computer((on this to keep in mide that is to make sure you use sepeate chokes on the POWER DC cords, and the DATA cords if you are going to put them on the motherbords wires, the signals will mix and may or may not work, i had to do this on my setup)),

as well as the shortwave radio's power plug if you arnt using batterys.

THe same thing goes for the audio cords.

This all help a great deal for me, but almost every setup is different.

I do know there is some speciel power supplys you can build, to get rid of the noise but dont know where the parts would come from or the kits.

Last edited:

KC0QNB

Well it is a el cheapo bare bones tower, that I bought a few years ago, this is the second Power supply, in the first one the fan died, I had a friend that had a similar computer and he gave me his "old" power supply to use, it was easier than changing the fan, but not necessarily better, my old power supply didn't have the noise issue as I recall. The current supply is only a 300 watt unit, I guess it is time to upgrade. I looked at an Antec 500 watt unit the reviews look good, but no reviews from radio geeks.

Shortwavewave

If you still have the old supply, BestBuy, Curcuit City, and im sure a few others sell a nice assortment of different sizes of fans.

Im not sure how hard or easy your would be, but I clean the dust of of mine about every 2months

Abtec and Ultra are good quality ones that I know of, cant tell you about RF though

bezking

RF comes off of power supplies, no matter which one you have. The solution is to move the radio awway from the computer. Ensure that the cables for the radio DO NOT come into ANY contact with the computer cables.

(I learned this the hard way, I took a scanner into a datacenter with ~150 servers and I got no signal from the Icom IC-F40GT 10 feet away from it.)

KC0QNB

I can't move the radio any further away, it is already 7 feet away in a 10x10 room, I will probably try a new supply someday in the mean time I just won't have the computer and the radio on at the same time, thanks for the replies.

jon_k

RF comes off of power supplies, no matter which one you have. The solution is to move the radio awway from the computer. Ensure that the cables for the radio DO NOT come into ANY contact with the computer cables.

(I learned this the hard way, I took a scanner into a datacenter with ~150 servers and I got no signal from the Icom IC-F40GT 10 feet away from it.)

I work at a datacenter on a 13 hour shift 7 days a week before getting a week off. About 10,000 servers.

You can imagine both hobbies, scanning and amateur radio, are dead on the lonely night shift which I work alone on. Sometimes I turn crossband repeat on in my truck to keep me company.

bezking

I work at a datacenter on a 13 hour shift 7 days a week before getting a week off. About 10,000 servers.

You can imagine both hobbies, scanning and amateur radio, are dead on the lonely night shift which I work alone on. Sometimes I turn crossband repeat on in my truck to keep me company.

Hah! So I'm not the only Scannist\Network Admin! You must work in a hosting facility, the only organization I can think of with 10K servers!!

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
I use a PCR 1000 with my computer and paid around $100.00 for my PSU and I even have the rig sitting on top of my computer and have no problems. I have found that cheaper power supplies are ALOT noisier then a good one.

I think the secret to a good sounding radio/computer combo is to make sure the computer system gets a good clean source of power while outputting very little RF. I would suggest finding a single rail power supply with a rail rating of at least 26amps (up if you are a gamer or whatnot). My supply is a 480 watt with 30 amps on a single 12v rail that came with a 3 yr warranty.

Find something along these lines and you will actually be surprised how much better the computer runs and how much better you digital hobby comes to life. To my surprise with this supply the crashes have went wayyyy down and the computer seems alot more responsive, the lower RF was just a added bonus :D.

Hope this was a help!

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
Yes that was helpful I was looking at an antec 500w for about $100 thanks

Glad I was help. But please don't fall for the dual rail bs. It says its better blah blah blah but no company has done much to use the feature leaving you with a PSU that has 2 or more 12v lines laying around in your computer and a split of amps across them all. On paper they might look good, I seen a 60amp PSU and was wowed intil I found out it had 6 rails and divided the 60 by 4.

Single PSUs are getting harder to find but can still be found. If you would like just post and I will help you look.

Cheers!

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
if ur still looking for a power supply unit, ret newegg.com or ncix.com A good one that is very quite is try to get one from OCX they range in all watts...Have 2 scanners here as well and they are right next to my comp and have no feedback,noise or anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.