Computer Tower Radio Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

radact

I saw another guy on this forum hollow out a computer case and install multiple scanners in it. I don't remember what his project was. So, to save space and make the area look clean, I decided to try it and see how it would work out.

I took a computer case I had laying around that had nothing inside and mounted the radios in it. The three small radios fit very nicely in the 3.5" slots. The 2510 was too big to fit in one of the slots so it's mounted on top.

The 20 amp power supply gives power to all the radios without any problems. I may split them up later just to be on the safe side but I'll do some more testing this way first.

From the top, mounted outside the case, is the 2510, next is Alinco 6m, ADI AR-247 and then the FT-8800. On the side of the case is the power supply and the BC-780XLT.

What do you think? Constructive criticism accepted graciously.

Attachments

• Radio Computer Tower.jpg
    Radio Computer Tower.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,997
  • Radio Tower Pwr Supply.jpg
    Radio Tower Pwr Supply.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,724

jparks29

John McClane
An ATX power supply supplies 12VDC , even older 160W power supplies can put out about 8A @ 12VDc, more than enough for a scanner, and adequate for a 50W mobile..

Hell, I use a 700W ATX power supply that's been modified with binding posts as a crude bench test power supply... Can supply about 60A @ 12VDC, more than enough for even the most stout 100W transmitters....

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Yeah,old server and desk top towers make great project cases! I have built a repeater out of a old micron tower,and have a buddy up north that has a 440mhz.tx/rx and controller,power supply all in one.
Plus it's fun.
N9ZAS.

digitalanalog

Nice job.
Here is the supercase i put together a while back, at this point it is still not completed.
other projects in front.

http://forums.radioreference.com/pictures-your-shack-mobile-setup/142312-bc350a-super-case.html

I saw another guy on this forum hollow out a computer case and install multiple scanners in it. I don't remember what his project was. So, to save space and make the area look clean, I decided to try it and see how it would work out.

I took a computer case I had laying around that had nothing inside and mounted the radios in it. The three small radios fit very nicely in the 3.5" slots. The 2510 was too big to fit in one of the slots so it's mounted on top.

The 20 amp power supply gives power to all the radios without any problems. I may split them up later just to be on the safe side but I'll do some more testing this way first.

From the top, mounted outside the case, is the 2510, next is Alinco 6m, ADI AR-247 and then the FT-8800. On the side of the case is the power supply and the BC-780XLT.

What do you think? Constructive criticism accepted graciously.

Status
Not open for further replies.