Computer virus! Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ch1ronTL34

Hey everyone, my computer (Dell laptop) has a virus or spyware or something. Mozilla Firefox stopped working except it will load any sites I've bookmarked. I get pop ups frequently when using either Firefox or Internet Explorer. I don't have a lot of money to spend on anti-virus software, so does anyone know of some free anti-virus/anti-spyware stuff that could fix my computer? A Google search for free anti-virus programs brings me too many choices, so does anyone have any experience with any of these free anti-virus programs?

Thanks a lot

KE5BCP

Analog Man in a Digital World
Premium Subscriber
Ch1ronTL34 said:
Hey everyone, my computer (Dell laptop) has a virus or spyware or something. Mozilla Firefox stopped working except it will load any sites I've bookmarked. I get pop ups frequently when using either Firefox or Internet Explorer. I don't have a lot of money to spend on anti-virus software, so does anyone know of some free anti-virus/anti-spyware stuff that could fix my computer? A Google search for free anti-virus programs brings me too many choices, so does anyone have any experience with any of these free anti-virus programs?

Thanks a lot
Anti-Virus:
http://free.grisoft.com

Spyware Remover:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

KC9LDB

SCPD

QRT
if all else fails, geek squad in best buy will work on it for ya. i had to get my system wiped down once had them do it, and it worked fine afterwards

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
lakekid313 said:
if all else fails, geek squad in best buy will work on it for ya. i had to get my system wiped down once had them do it, and it worked fine afterwards
Don't even think about going to Geek Squad. I had a malware problem a while back that niether my antivirus or spyware programs would get rid of. There is a Best Buy less than a mile from me so I was over there looking to see if they had a program that would help. One of the Geek Squad people came over and asked if I needed help. I explained my problem and she said there was no program that would get rid of what I had, but they could go through my computer and fix it for $300. Hell, for that much, I could just get a new computer. (probably their goal in the first place) After a little searching on Google, I found a free program called SmitFraudFix that solved my problem in about 5 minutes.

Last edited:

Ch1ronTL34

Well I used AVG and Spybot S&D and they both seemed to do the trick. Thanks for everyone who responded to my post with constructive help, I appreciate it. I was close to driving out to a store and buying a new laptop. Now I don't have to! The RR community saves the day again!

mikepdx

mortonranger20 said:
..my family, "clients" and I have NEVER ONCE had a virus or spyware, its nonexistent...
Ditto.
I can't believe what kind of crap I find on some people's computers.
I couldn't load my own up with that much garbage if I tried.

lakekid313 said:
if all else fails, geek squad in best buy will work on it for ya.
Raven95150 said:
Don't even think about going to Geek Squad...
They hire salespeople, and turn away computer techs as employees.
Thru several independent sources, I've read
that their sales target per client is $250
They don't always collect that, but that's what their
"techs" are told to try hard to bleed from you, if they can.

Last edited:

zz0468

Listening from DC to Daylight
The best I've found so far is Clam Anti-virus. Yes, it's free. Make sure you download the Windows version, not the Unix version. I also can't recommend Spybot Search and Destroy strongly enough! GET IT.

I've found that no one program will protect you from everything, so in addition to Spybot and Clam, you should get Hijack This, and Ad-Aware. All those, coupled with Firefox will keep you pretty safe.

Ch1ronTL34

Thanks again for the additional replies, everyone. I'm not sure where these problems came from. I don't think I'm visiting disreputable sites on the net and I don't download any kind of media. Who knows? But either way, things are working well now.

You may have installed some program recently that had malware add-ons. I've never had a virus (except for the ones I purposely install for 'testing' purposes).

On occasion you should monitor what programs & services are running. In addition, notice what executables are registered to execute on startup. Also, make note of your internet connections (on a per-process basis). For example, you should know why programasdf.exe is listening on port 23.

The best way is to start out is with a fresh install of the OS. Disable unneeded services. Make notes of the 3 things I mentioned above. Then start installing software & be aware of changes to the 3 things mentioned above. You notice anything odd, look it up; do some research.

Also, your internet usage alone isn't the only way to get a virus. If you're not sole user of the computer, you're at risk. For example, I have nothing against my mother, but when it comes to computers, she's liable to make my life a little bit more harder.

Just being aware of your environment helps a lot.

CapStar362

and dont listen to the Security Center, it doesnt help at all..... i always turn it off via the Services.msc applet.

just use AVG/Spybot/C-Cleaner/FireFox and your good to go

franka00213

On my laptop I have Microsofts Onecare you can get a 90 day free trial at microsoft.com and search onecare. it works pretty good it has antivirus,spyware, backup capabilitys, and helps your computer run faster. i tryed it and it works ok for me.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Just to clear up a few points;

"I get pop ups frequently when using either Firefox or Internet Explorer."

The Mozilla Adblock Plus add on will fix that for the most part. Don't say I didn't warn you, it works by blocking links so if you still get pop ups they're on the page itself. Don't forget to enable automatic updates, it needs to revise the links as they change from time to time. BTW, there are plenty of useful add ons on the site, check them out.

No need to use IE unless a page fails to render properly, then just switch rendering engines and FF uses the one in IE. Some crappy web sites will do that so the switch sometimes comes in handy.

"...always using Mozilla Firefox and Crap Cleaner and good old common sense..."

The name was changed to CCleaner and it's neither anti virus nor anti spyware, it cleans the old crap out of the registry, cookies, temp files and Recycle Bin where junk accumulates if you don't regularly empty those files. Frankly I won't fiddle with the registry unless I have a DARN SERIOUS problem and there is NO other option, I let a good clean up program do routine cleanup. I have mine set to run on start up so I don't forget, everything loads normally, no waiting delays when CC is running.

Yup, common sense is the best defense but a triple redundant layered defense backup plan is better.

"On occasion you should monitor what programs & services are running. In addition, notice what executables are registered to execute on startup. Also, make note of your internet connections (on a per-process basis). For example, you should know why programasdf.exe is listening on port 23."

That's what Win Patrol is for.

"You may have installed some program recently that had malware add-ons."

Make note of the install date and time, malware or just program incompatibilities can louse up overall performance so when you notice some funk going on use System Restore to remove any traces of the install, system modifications and registry entries it may have made. (You may disable access to drives that never need restoration or where it may harm resources like data storage.) NEVER do multiple installations, always give one time to "soak in" before installing another. Too much at once and you can't find the suspect hiding in all that clutter and must then remove them all and start over one at a time. Oh, did I mention that too many changes at once can make the OS itself unstable? It takes time to recover and get used to an installation and meanwhile you have quite a mess not knowing what's really going on, do I have a conflict, a virus or is the system just a little queasy?

"If you're not sole user of the computer, you're at risk."

BIG TIME! That's where "parental supervision" comes into play once again and for times you're not watching over the shoulder password lock the computer alphanumerically, it's more secure than a name or word someone can figure out. Don't bother to hide the power cord, kids know where to find it. (;->)

"I have nothing against my mother, but when it comes to computers, she's liable to make my life a little bit more harder."

I'm a little bit older than you, mothers don't need computers to make sonny's life a little bit harder believe me. (;->)

You guys gave some pretty good common sense advice so the rest of you geek wannabies listen to them, you're computer will love you for it. There are plenty of good free AV, AS, cleanup and firewall programs out there , USE THEM but always remember they're no better than good old fashioned common sense. Oh, don't blame us if your machine still manages to get sick, nothing is perfect, not even you and least of all me.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
http://www.malwarehelp.org/

http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis

Use this to read the log. http://www.hijackthis.de/en

Should use a non privileged account. Not the administrator account. PITA though, I admit.

I use Comodo, Avast (Standerd shield off), Antivir, BoClean. Ton of registry fixes; locked the raw sockets, turned off UPnP, host file has some some sites blocked. I use www.opendns.com and will be deploying BIND. :lol:

Firefox with Noscript is a good combination. There is a haxxer kit you can buy that will make all those "friendly" i-frames in web pages redirect you to maleware ridden sites. Your anti-virus software won't catch it. Hench the use of the addon Noscript. Adblock is very good too! As mentioned. There are others, but goes beyond your maleware issue.

I run CCleaner damn near before every shut down of the computer. There is another great tool called Eusing Free Registry Cleaner.

Autoruns or startup cpl will help too.

Geeksquad are full of idiots. Go to several computer forums first!

Hell, just browse in a virtual machine! With Linux! Freespire and Virtualbox. Vmware is your better option. I have to point out that even virtual machines have risks. VMware was updated sometime back, but VM's are very redundant at protecting the host computer, IE. Your computer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.