• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX Computer won't recognize APX 6000

Status
Not open for further replies.

ordym31

I have come across an issue where my computers stopped reading APX 6000 radio’s. They were reading and programing them fine all last week, but today my computers will not recognize them as if they are not turned on or connected. I have tried them on the older windows 7 machines and it will read. We have also tried them on tan isolated win 10 machine. I had my IT team look into it and they believe the cause is an expired driver for the APX 6000 that ran out in July 31st. I talked to Motorola support on the phone and he was not sure if that was causing the issue or not but they have had numerous calls about this in the past weeks with their Tier 3 looking into it. It looks like there was a Windows update that might have occurred over the weekend that rejected the driver. Motorola opened a ticket and will get back to me on if there is a fix. I downloaded another version of cps 21.20.01 today and my personal computer won't recognize it either. Has anyone else experienced this lately?

com501

I had this problem this week. My workaround was to simply use a different comm port when it stopped recognizing the radio. After about three programming hits, the port would stop and I would use the next one. Good thing I had 8 ports on my desktop.

ordym31

I can't even get one port to work. It also used to identify it as a network device and now it's saying it's a USB com port device. I also uninstalled the driver and reconnected it to reinstall it. Which it does

I had this problem this week. My workaround was to simply use a different comm port when it stopped recognizing the radio. After about three programming hits, the port would stop and I would use the next one. Good thing I had 8 ports on my desktop.
That

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
APX radios do not use COM ports, they create an Ethernet connection over USB.

1599169895752.png

Download the USB drivers from MOL and try installing those. I had someone with a similar issue last week and that did the trick. Alternately, you can try installing CPS 19 which also seems to fix the issue, then install R21 again.

K2NEC

Interestingly enough, I never needed a driver for any APX I program. I use windows 10 and the PC always recognizes the cable and radio when I go to program it.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Interestingly enough, I never needed a driver for any APX I program. I use windows 10 and the PC always recognizes the cable and radio when I go to program it.
Normally when you install APX CPS, it automatically installs the drivers (separate from the 1-Wire drivers). Look in Programs and Features, and you'll probably find a bunch of entries for the USB to network drivers.

1599180923898.png

ordym31

APX radios do not use COM ports, they create an Ethernet connection over USB.

View attachment 90855

Download the USB drivers from MOL and try installing those. I had someone with a similar issue last week and that did the trick. Alternately, you can try installing CPS 19 which also seems to fix the issue, then install R21 again.
Agree with you on that they always would show up as network adapters. Something happened over the weekend and that changed to a USB com port. It would always automaticly identify it. I will try the driver download in the morning.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Had this issue when migrating to APX CPS R21.40, seems the driver doesn't get installed or gets removed. Either way, just went on MOL and downloaded the "APX USB driver" and the issue is resolved. Happened on multiple machines in our shop running Win 10 64 bit pro.

ordym31

I cannot locate the drivers, and I didn't see them on MOL. Called another tech from Motorola I work with and it wasn't much help.

ordym31

Had this issue when migrating to APX CPS R21.40, seems the driver doesn't get installed or gets removed. Either way, just went on MOL and downloaded the "APX USB driver" and the issue is resolved. Happened on multiple machines in our shop running Win 10 64 bit pro.

IS It this??????

Motorola APX USB Setup (11 Apr 2016 Zip File 3MB)
This is the application that sets up the PC for USB communication with the Motorola APX Radio. The version adds support for Windows 8, Windows 7 and O2/O7 Control heads. This install is required for Integrated Voice & Data, and Conventional Packet Data. This install is backward compatible with earlier releases of Motorola APX Radio.
Revision Number: 1.0.0.8
Part Number: NVN5424H
Product Applicability: APX 8000/7000/7500/6000/6500 Radios

ordym31

All,
thank you for the help with this. Downloading the USB set up in the last post fixed this.

dgruver911

This hit me yesterday, 1 laptop and desktop got windows 10 updates and now both no go on programming. Tried reloading the USB setup above, uninstalled and reinstalled CPS, no luck. Contacted Motorola support they have several active tickets on this and are working on it. Fingers crossed...

ordym31

This hit me yesterday, 1 laptop and desktop got windows 10 updates and now both no go on programming. Tried reloading the USB setup above, uninstalled and reinstalled CPS, no luck. Contacted Motorola support they have several active tickets on this and are working on it. Fingers crossed...
That USB set up fixed every computer I had issues with. About 5 computers.

ordym31

Motorola was much help with the issue

dgruver911

Yes they were. They verified that using the 2016 USB setup did not work on my laptop and desktop. Their fix for me was to download and install the APX tuner. Apparently the tuner has "signed" drivers where the USB setup didn't, and that is the issue. Their engineers are still working on a permanent solution. The tech I worked with said they have numerous tickets in on this.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
New version of APX CPS was released the other day that fixes the driver issue: R21.40.01

Status
Not open for further replies.