ComTekk anyone else using it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyro658

Communications Dispatcher
I bought the software from Comtekk 2 tone decoder. It doesnt make sense to me and I need help with it. If anyone is using it that can help me with it please let me know. I am in desperate need of assistance here.
Thank you in advance
David EMT/EMD
HFA

Last edited:

Pyro658

I figured it out! I had to toy around a little but I finally realized my timing was set to short....It's all good! If anyone needs tone out info monmouth county area let me know and I will see about getting it for ya...
Happy scanning,
Dave 39-21-37

afdscan

Tone-Out Question

I am also having problems with the program. I has successfully calibrated the decoder, however the tones don't match anything that my 396 will accept. What did you do to figure it out?

Tim

Pyro658

Make sure that your timing is correct...It should be at least 800ms...If its to short you will pick up stuff that does not make sense...Private message me and let me know if you solve the issues.
Dave

ocn29rsc

Comtekk

I have this software with no trouble, I things just a bit different.

I have some scanner recording software and I record the frequency that I want to decode for tones and just play it back later basically piggy backing the line in with output on my laptop with either my headphones or external speaker.

As I play this stuff back I decode the ones I don't have and then compare them with specs for motorola, ge, plectron and the others to see what matches.

I have yet to have trouble entering anything into my 396.

J. Cody

N9JIG

Sheriff
afdscan said:
I am also having problems with the program. I has successfully calibrated the decoder, however the tones don't match anything that my 396 will accept. What did you do to figure it out?

Tim
The 396 will accept any frequency within it's range at .1 Hz. steps. So it will accept 403.1, 403.2, 403.4 etc. In addition it will decode a a few Hz. either way so you don't have to be perfect, just "close enough". I have found that they lower tones need to be closer while the higher ones can be further off.

ComTekk and other decoders tend to be inaccurate a bit, but they are usually close enough for the 396 to work. I actually found that using audio decoders such as Adobe Audition seem to be more accurate.

afdscan

Assistance requested

I'm reading numbers such as 3245.2 Hz and 2334.2 Hz. The BCD396 factory settings for tone-out appear to have the decimal after the first digit. Is there a table available from Motorola or Plectron that decode these numbers?

N9JIG

Sheriff
Here is a list of the common tones used by a majority of agencies. These days with computerized consoles any combination of tones can be used.

afdscan said:
I'm reading numbers such as 3245.2 Hz and 2334.2 Hz. The BCD396 factory settings for tone-out appear to have the decimal after the first digit. Is there a table available from Motorola or Plectron that decode these numbers?

Be sure you are not confusing PL tones with Fire Tone Out tones. PL Tones run from 67.0 thru 254.1, Fire Tone Out tones run from about 300 thru 3000 Hz., both are usually expressed with 1 digit right of the decimal (1234.5, 123.0, 335.6 etc.)

Attachments

• Common Tones.pdf
    51.2 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

afdscan

Thanks for the help... I'm sorting through this. I'm not a radio expert, just a scanner enthusiast.

By the way, what does DES stand for?

afdscan

Bad download

The reason I was getting the weird readings was due to a bad download. I deleted the program and download it again. It is now working fine. The readings that I'm getting now are working well in my 396.

Thanks anyway for your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.