Comtelco A1132B for Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

n2ops

The Comtelco A1132B greatly outperforms the Larson NMO150/450/800 on all scanner bands.

Discovered by accident that this 2 meter/70 CM NMO antenna was a super scanner antenna.

I use one for my scanner and one for my dual band ham radio.

The biggest surprise was it's performance on low band.

commstar

Premium Subscriber

I run a couple of the Larsen's, am happy, but always looking to trade up.

Mike

wwhitby

Feed Provider
I've got a similar model (1131A) on my car for use with my 2m/70cm dual band radio. Using that radio and antenna, I can frequently pick up signals that my scanner with a gain 2m/70cm antenna can't pick up.

However, the one thing I don't like about Comtelco's antennas is that the base is made of plastic, not metal. I'm wondering how long its going to survive out in the sun before the base starts cracking?

Warren

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Car Wax!

Im not being funny here, honestly, but try putting some car wax on the base. It certainly cant hurt. Most of the newer cars these days have more plastic on the exterior than anything so it just might do some good!

Manny

rankin39

Larsen makes an electrically identical antenna NMOQ 19 in. long with the coil in the center. Both antennas should work fine on 150 and 450 MHz., but the Larsen I have isn't so great on 800. I haven't tried it against the 150/450/800 though.

Bob

wwhitby

Feed Provider
Im not being funny here, honestly, but try putting some car wax on the base. It certainly cant hurt. Most of the newer cars these days have more plastic on the exterior than anything so it just might do some good!

Manny

I hadn't thought of that, but its a good idea. I'll look around and see if I can find wax that has some sort of UV protectant in it.

Warren

SAR923

Hi Warren,
Even better, pick up a can of Krylon Clear Matte Finish spray at Wallyworld. Just mask off around the antenna base and give it a good coat. It's kind of like a clear coat for paint and guys with garden railroads use it all the time to protect their plastic freight cars from UV. One can will last you forever.

stevolene

Ive had all my antennas powder coated with a special black matte paint that resist all corrosion, also had them implanted with lojac sensors in case of theft

af5rn

LOL@stevo

I been using Maxrads almost exclusively for like twenty years, and have yet to have a problem with the plastic. I've whacked a couple around pretty seriously on trees and low garages too. You will, however, get some eventual rust on the metal parts, if you don't keep it clean and protected. Manny's wax recommendation is a sound one. Although, I also paint all the metal with black Rust-Oleum, both for protection and for stealth looks.

I too would like a little more information on these supposed miraculous performance gains. Can you quantify them for us? Are you getting stronger signals on the meter? Systems you couldn't receive before? Just quieter reception? Is it hole mounted, or mag mounted? How was the Larsen mounted? In the same place?

wwhitby

Feed Provider
Hi Warren,
Even better, pick up a can of Krylon Clear Matte Finish spray at Wallyworld. Just mask off around the antenna base and give it a good coat. It's kind of like a clear coat for paint and guys with garden railroads use it all the time to protect their plastic freight cars from UV. One can will last you forever.

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Warren

IceBlueEyes579

Premium Subscriber
Jim

How far can you pick up on Comtelco A1132B on those bands esp. low band? Im oringinally from your area but I moved to Richmond, VA a couple of years ago. Just Curious.

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.