Comtelco vs. Austin Spectra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

crevatis

Has anyone done a comparison between these two antennas? Does the Spectra provide any advantage other than VHF-low performance?

crevatis

Sorry. Forgot to mention that. Its on the $34.95 on in the scannermaster store. They don't show the model number there, but the product code is 07-540719. I bought one or an identical looking antenna years ago and it performed very well. I was thinking of getting an antenna for my other car and was wondering if the Spectra has much advantage for 100 bucks other than performance on VHF low. Thanks.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I have Both, run them on my truck, the spectra performs well on all for me, i will do a test later to see which one i like best

bluefox2163

spectra

i have a spectra and it works excellent on all bands and you can cut the whip for the band you like..

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
This is a late post, but I got the Spectra yesterday. I'm impressed w/ the performance on vhf-low. I haven't cut the lowband whip, either. Still trying to decide. I think I'll cut it more toward the center (40mhz). I generally listen between 39 and 46mhz on lowband.

I've tried quite a few scanner antennas over the years and this is by far the best on vhf-low. I've noticed some improvements w/ uhf and vhf-hi as well. Haven't tested 800, yet. Hope this helps.

Todd

p.s... It is ugly, but it does work!!! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.